black tie

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Re: black tie

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 am

Your coloring looks a bit like mine.. Bright jewel tones suit me the best.. reds, purples , royal blue, bright turquoise, teal, those are some of the best colorsfor skin, hair and eyes like mine.. Nothing near the face that has a yellow undertone, or it washes you out.. So that excludes the lighter greens, as most of them have yellow undertones..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby jwright on Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 pm

oh that dress would look amazing in royal blue!
jwright

New postby mommydionne on Mon May 05, 2008 4:52 pm

I was thinking blue, can't wear yellow at all sigh, look a bit like the undead, I was thinking an emerald green, I'm going to hit the fabric stores tomorrow, saw a beautiful floral online but was very expensive, I think that dress would be a bit much in a floral though, thanks for the ideas!
Jeanette - collecter of sewing machines and small children...
mommydionne

New postby jwright on Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 am

I agree with the floral comment--it would be a bit much. Emerald green would be a great choice too. I definately think you should keep it solid.
jwright

New postby lendube on Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 am

Just now reading this and I was thinking from the start emerald green would be great. I'd go for a darker, more intense jewel tone at any rate. I think with all of the details on the dress it could look a bit "costume-y" or bridal in light colors.

Please don't forget to show us how is turns out. What's the occasion?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm

I love emerald green.. I think it would be fantastic.. Especially for summer..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sancin on Tue May 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I love emerald green as well but do fair haired individuals look as great in it as dark haired people? I always think of black haired Irish or orientals as wearing emerald green, but that is just me. I once had a wonderful strapless silk fitted short skirt emerald green dress (obviously a long time ago :cry: ). I looked spectacular in it if I say so myself, but didn't wear it as often as I had hoped to. I think it was because the green made fair haired and skined me fade into the background. I should have chosen a rose or faded blue and I would still be trying to get it to fit again! With a little jacket, of course - but I do have a hand painted silk top that would do. Sigh

Jeanette, with your colouring, do you look better in jewel tones or slighty muted colours? Blues, for example, come in many different colours and tones. You can tell by your comfort level when you have the fabric draped around your face. FYI - yellow is the hardest colour for most people to wear, but some look spectacular in it - green with envy here.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby mommydionne on Tue May 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Well the fair hair is courtesy of a very talented hairdresser, currently it is light brown with blonde streaks, might go darker if it works with the dress :D (the real colour is dark brown streaked with gray), I'm irish and have very pale skin and brown eyes,
BUT I hit a very cool fabric store in Ottawa today (C&M Textiles, Merivale and Meadowlands for you Ottawa people, wonderful store, great staff and amazing fabrics selection) and they were having a SALE!!!! So I went with a dark green, it's a synthetic but was the colour I wanted (the silks were a bit too yellow which turns my skin green) and I showed great restraint and didn't buy anything else,however I might go back this weekend...
the event is a black tie ball, military, very formal. Lots of Sirring going on ;)
Jeanette - collecter of sewing machines and small children...
mommydionne

New postby Bama on Tue May 06, 2008 5:57 pm

I think a dark green will look wonderful for that dress and with your complexion. Can't wait to see the dress!
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby HeyJudee on Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm

mommydionne wrote:BUT I hit a very cool fabric store in Ottawa today (C&M Textiles, Merivale and Meadowlands for you Ottawa people, wonderful store, great staff and amazing fabrics selection) and they were having a SALE!!!!

Jeanette, I'm a little late catching up on things. I read the other thread where you mentioned finding some silk on-line in Ottawa at $120...was that at Darrell Thomas by any chance? Was gonna ask whether you had tried C&M Textiles. They have some veryyyyyy nice stuff. Last time I was there I saw drapery fabric for $250/metre. Needless to say...I didn't get any! ;) Glad you were able to find something...love to see the pics when it's done.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

PreviousNext

Return to Fashion and Style