What were they thinking?

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Re: What were they thinking?

New postby DorothyL on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:46 pm

I honestly don't know anyone who would want to wear that dress and look good in it!!!
Could you imagine the giggles behind you as you walked past?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:41 pm

LeapFrog Libby wrote:Kaitlin,
You probably will not believe this, but it is the truth.. Last week I saw that same picture in our paper.. I don't remember whether it was Sunday or a weekday, but I'm almost positive it was the same picture.. Same Model, anyway.. But the one I saw had one difference.. You could very definitely see a panty line on her rear end.. If it is the same picture, then they have air-brushed it out to get rid of that panty line.. It may have been in Parade magazine or something, but I remember it being in color, because of the dress color in this picture. (same color) Or maybe I saw it on TV, but I saw it somewhere and the panty line was obviously visible..

Sorry to go MIA on my own post, but I was thinking about this again today as I paged through the Vogue pattern catalog at Hancock. The underwear issue is too funny! It seems like really anything would show! And if you go commando..what's stopping the dress from creeping up where it doesn't belong? :lol:

I can kind of imagine Beyonce or Christina Aguilera wearing something like it..but even then I think they would end up on the "Fashion Don'ts" list. ;)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Summer on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:12 am

Work in a fbric store and you would be surprised by who would buy this pattern. To make matters worse they buy the knit with sparkles or a bold print. These people should no be wearing this, but they do.
Summer

New postby somerset4 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:51 am

I know of at least one woman who'd look fine in that dress...her backside is shaped like a ripe nectarine. I think she has a part-time job at a gym. Some of our other colleagues may well be able to pull it off with the help of Spanx. For those who were not blessed with large breasts, but have a shapely bottom, may work well. Up to the age of...I dunno 28? 29? 31, with the part-time gig at the gym.
somerset4

New postby Glennssister on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 am

I met a 69 yr old lady yesterday that could wear it. She must have been 5 feet tall and weighte 100-110 lbs. She had on a white mini skirt with a black and white polkadot blouse, black hose and I can't remember what else. I have to ask anyone 50 years old and under if they could be pregnant before we do their x-ray exam. I asked her and had her sign the appropriate form. I then realized that she was 69 and told her my mistake and we both had a good laugh. She told me her secrete was loving herself.
Glennssister

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:49 pm

The "butt dress" is actually a Michael Kors design. I could see Heidi Klum wearing it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:02 pm

grandma C wrote:I met a 69 yr old lady yesterday that could wear it. She must have been 5 feet tall and weighte 100-110 lbs. She had on a white mini skirt with a black and white polkadot blouse, black hose and I can't remember what else. I have to ask anyone 50 years old and under if they could be pregnant before we do their x-ray exam. I asked her and had her sign the appropriate form. I then realized that she was 69 and told her my mistake and we both had a good laugh. She told me her secrete was loving herself.

I bet you made her day!!!! Wow, if I was 69 and someone mistook me for being 19 years younger, WOOHOO! Do the happy dance!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Satsuma on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Even if you have a perfect bum, all that extra material in the back just doesn't look nice! It really does make me think of a giant wedgie. I don't want people thinking that when they look at my backside!
Carolyn
Satsuma

New postby paroper on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 pm

If she didn't have her leg that extended I don't think the dress would look quite like that. I suspect it would look more like a bustle. If I'm right, my daughter would like it. They also really pin up these models (sometimes even sew them up) for these shots. I scolded Simplicity one time because they had a dress that had no fitting from the bust to the hips...had more than 8" more ease in the waistline than the pattern said but showed to be "fitted" on the cover of the pattern and in the book. The customer service rep I was chewing out said "Oh, you can't go by those...you should see what we go through to make those patterns fit when we take the pictures. They're pinned everywhere."
pam

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
paroper

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Actually, I was way off! The dress is just gorgeous in the right fabric and on the right person - someone on Pattern Review made it for their daughter, and it is "wow" in a good way! Here's the review: Marita Kinnula's Vogue 1029 review. Here's a link to the photo: Wowza in red! I swear there were back view pictures, but I can't seem to find them now - it looks great, not wedgie like at all.

Don't worry, I still won't be making this for myself. ;)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fashion and Style