Wrap dress for rehearsal dinner

Pictures and descriptions of finished projects, plus tutorials of how to make sewing projects!

Wrap dress for rehearsal dinner

New postby cgmemphis on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Finally finished the knit wrap dress I've been working on forever it seems. Basically redrew the pattern, but I am happy with the outcome! Not sure if I want to keep the neckline, cuffs, etc., banded, or if I want to add the collar and cuffs for more of a retro DVF wrap dress look. Basted them so you could see what it would look like. Let me know what you think. This is for a rehearsal dinner (my SO's son). Next, I need to make the outfit I plan to wear to the wedding.
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

Re: Wrap dress for rehearsal dinner

New postby cgmemphis on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:55 pm

I think I finally figured out how to load pictures. We'll see :-)
Attachments
024.JPG
collar, cuffs
024.JPG (249.27 KB) Viewed 4546 times
020.JPG
just bands, no collar, no cuffs
020.JPG (156.82 KB) Viewed 4553 times
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 pm

I like it.. I think it looks great. Congrats on mastering adding photos. Wish I could master that ..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Cheryl, it looks great!!! I like it with the band and cuffs as it gives it that designer detail. Also, I like your choice of fabric.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Skye on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:51 pm

lovely dress. Really like the cuffs , fun fabric too.
Whether to leave the bands depends on how it looks on you. On me the bands would make my bust look bigger.
Did I say I like the dress :D
Skye

New postby cgmemphis on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks everybody! Collar and cuffs it will be!
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 am

Like the collar and cuffs too. Love the print, fun but dressy too.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby sewingmom on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:19 pm

The dress is very pretty with timeless elegance.
Belinda
sewingmom

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:51 pm

What a lovely dress. What is the pattern? I am a sucker for a wrap neckline, but sometimes find it difficult to get the depth of the V right (not too high, not too low). This one looks just right (on the mannequin at least). :)

With the print, the collar and cuffs don't stand out much -- I'm sure the dress will look great either way, but is it just as easy to leave them off?
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby cgmemphis on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:11 am

Pattern is Butterick 5030, which is for wovens mainly, so I basically had to redraw the pattern for knits and for my shoulders, etc. Because it was knit, I did not follow the pattern sequence or the techniques. Instead of facings along the neckline and skirt fronts and 3/4 sleeves, I used the neck band technique (Sarah Veblen's YouTube tutorial) which added an inch to the front and helped with some modesty :-). With this fabric, it ironed down great and I did not have to topstitch the seam on the neck band. Also, used the flat construction method on the sleeves, with using Margaret Tully's tip of sewing with the sleeve cap side down and using normal differential feed on the serger until I got to the notches where the ease kicks in, and then I went up a level on the diff feed so it would ease in. Took about 20 inches off the fullness of the skirt. Coverstitched the hem. The fabric was real squirrelly (95 rayon/5 Spandex), so I would recommend a more stable fabric. Used all 3 machines on this dress, sewing, serger, and coverstitch. I did lots of hand basting and Wonder Tape. My next wrap dress will be StyleArc Kate (which is on the slow boat from Australia as we speak--LOL!) I think it would be an easier pattern to sew had I used woven fabric. Rehearsal dinner is 09/12/14, so I will post a rehearsal dinner pic wearing it.
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

Next

Return to Completed Sewing Projects and Tutorials