What are you knitting/crocheting right now?

Everything else including knitting, crocheting, polymer clay, jewelry, decoupage, etc.

Re: What are you knitting/crocheting right now?

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 am

Magot wrote: and staple them to me.

So I assume you have mags stapled to you already???!!! You made me laugh! :D Fun for you! How do you hold the book when you read? It could only be something that lays flat I imagine. I've read the newspaper while knitting at the table.

I'd really like to get into more intricate knitting. Just did a simple lace pattern and now I've knit in the round for the first time (not counting dp's). I'm looking around Ravelry often the past few days trying to decide what to do next. I'm thinking a shawl/poncho but if it's a poncho it's got to have style. There's a pretty "Kate Middleton" shawl making the rounds in the knitting world. I don't know if I could pull of a shawl in everyday wear. I'm not the elegant type.

Good examples, Lori. Ravelry is an incredible site but I find it a bit difficult to navigate. I see they're trying to make it easier with all the tips. I guess I should pay attention to those.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Lennie --
I have a huge plain grey shawl that I've worn all winter every winter for the last several years. I get cool and put it on then when it gets warm i just shrug it off. It was a trick I learned in menopause when the temps are constantly changing. There is nothing elegant about it.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Bama on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Lennie, here is a crochet version of a ruffled shawl. I added this one to my favorites for a future project. :anxious:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... ads-alpaca
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:10 pm

I think I want something a little longer and not crochet. I only know how to follow the most basic crochet pattern. Never learned but I suppose I could.

There's one poncho I love http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/poncho-toundra but I have to look into it further.
Two others I like; http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... pler-shawl that one's a shawl.
And http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/apogee-wrap
Lennie

lendube

New postby Bama on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 pm

I like all of those. Especially the 2nd one. I like to wear a shawl with a shawl pin more than wearing a poncho.
Bama

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah, that one's cool. The first one apparently isn't available anyhow. The second is a sampler and has some very interesting but do-able stitches. The yarn used is very expensive though and I wouldn't know with what to substitute??

I'd love to keep this thread going. I hope Kaitlin doesn't mind. I wouldn't think so since it is a legitimate forum, right? And we creative types :roll: can't be expected to limit our creative expression to just one medium now can we????? :D
Lennie

lendube

New postby Bama on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Lennie, if you look at the tabs along the top of each pattern you'll find "yarn ideas". :) Looks like people have tried several different yarns with that pattern.
Bama

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks, Lori. I really do need to "learn" Ravelry better. I just stumble through.
Lennie

lendube

New postby bridesmom on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

Oh I like some of those. I have a huge ball of a yellow cotton that I was going to use for a bag, but I like the idea of a shawl. I find sometimes in the evenings my shoulders are cold and the rest of me is fine, so rather than wrapping up in a quilt which makes me too hot, a shawl would work. As soon as I finish this stupid hat for the 3rd time!! I will look at something else to do. I do have a pattern for a crocheted shrug for Callie (DGD) but I've never crocheted anything that big before, just dishclothes. LOL
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 am

Spent a good portion of the morning looking at YouTube videos trying to teach myself to continental knit/purl. I've come to the conclusion that my left hand is useless :oops: Just can't get the hang of it yet but I'm going to keep trying. Seems I keep twisting the stitches somehow. Some of the videos show you picking up your knit stitch in the back loop and others in the front. Wow, didn't realize there were so many different versions of the continental knitting. I was taught the throw method and feel that I'm pretty fast doing it but have heard that docs feel that if you change up your ways of knitting it isn't as hard on the hands as always doing the same way and my hands need something different.
Brockie
sewingrandma

PreviousNext

Return to Other Crafts