How funny is this?

Everything else including knitting, crocheting, polymer clay, jewelry, decoupage, etc.

How funny is this?

New postby lendube on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Going through books and books looking for suggestions for the library to purchase I came across this when I was in the crafting section. Too funny! What gets me is the excellent ratings by a fair amount of folks! I guess it's no different than making yarn from llamas, rabbits, goats, etc. Why is it kinda creepy then? It shouldn't be. Cats can have amazingly gorgeous coats.

Here, kitty, kitty..
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: How funny is this?

New postby bridesmom on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 pm

LOL! Ok, I have to admit, it does seem a little creepy, but then again, I was saving the downy hair from my huskies winter coats and had planned on getting it carded into wool to knit a sweater. I http://www.etsy.com/listing/71084202/handspun-samoyed-yarn-white It does make a gorgeous yarn! Though I wonder what you would smell like if you got caught in the rain!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Had a SIL that used to save her dogs fur and would spin and knit it into hats, gloves and scarves for her kids. The dog was a long haired mutt but had the softest fur. The kids all said their hands and heads stayed warmer with Poochies fur than they did from the sheeps wool SIL also spun and knit with. I've got 2 DSH cats that would take forever to get enough fur from to make anything. It sure is nice and soft though.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby lendube on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Wow, that samoyed yarn is beautiful. Expensive but I can see that it would have to be. Kind of a nice way to remember a beloved pet. I remember first hearing about knitting with dog's fur when I was in my early 20's. I'm sure it's been going on forever though.

Interesting that the dog's yarn would be warmer than sheep's yarn, Brockie. :think: Btw, nice to see you.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks, Lennie. It's been awhile hasn't it?
We have a granddog (Husky) that we dog sit for and I had a huge bagful of hair after only one brushing, I should have offered it. Next time I get a bagful I'll be sure to mention it if anyone is interested.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Return to Other Crafts