Yarn suggestions for scarf and hat

Everything else including knitting, crocheting, polymer clay, jewelry, decoupage, etc.

Yarn suggestions for scarf and hat

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm

dd16 wants a Harry Potter scarf and hat that a friend said she could knit for her if she supplied the yarn. She did not say which was best, just said you want thicker, fluffier yarn so it won't be itchy. The scarf will be about 7" wide and 70" long in maroon and gold stripes and the hat will be gold with a maroon band.

New JoAnn's flyer today, lots of yarns on sale. What is the best buy for the money/warmth/not itchy factors? She will have to either pay for it herself and put it on her Christmas list and I'll buy the yarn.

Thanks, Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Yarn suggestions for scarf and hat

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Take DD in and let her feel each of them, on her neck if that is where she will wear the scarf.. You have to feel it on your own skin for the best fit . My DS complains about some yarns that feel fine to me, and he loves others .. He has very tender skin and is alergic to a lot of manufactured yarns..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Bama on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I made some Gryffindor house scarves (the maroon and gold ones). I used Redheart Supersaver yarn from Walmart. That brand was the closet color matches I could find. It's not the world's best yarn, but I've used it for several other things and it doesn't feel itchy to me. It's under $2.50 a skein at Walmart. You'll probably need about 3 for a scarf and hat.
Caron Simply Soft is another inexpensive yarn that has a very soft feel to it, and a little bit of a sheen. It's just over $3 a skein at Walmart. I like it because it glides like butter across my hooks and needles. ;) I couldn't find the correct colors of it for house scarves. Still looking for the perfect shade of gray/silver and green for a Slytherin scarf for DD.

If your daughter prefers a natural fiber over acrylic, Paton's makes a classic wool that fairly inexpensive, but still about double the acrylics I mentioned. I bought my last few skeins of Paton's wool at Michael's Crafts.

I don't think I would use a fluffier yarn for Harry Potter scarves, since the ones in the movies don't look fluffy.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Bama on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Here's one in progress to show you the Redheart yarn. It's showing up a little brighter on my computer, but is really the perfect shades of maroon and gold.
Attachments
gryffindor.jpg
gryffindor.jpg (222.37 KB) Viewed 1279 times
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby DorothyL on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:53 am

I like Vanna's Choice if they have the right colors.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

For a heavier yarn I like Loops and Threads (got it at Michaels) and Bernat's Softee Chunky, both use a larger needle.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Other Crafts