DD's crocheted rag rug

Everything else including knitting, crocheting, polymer clay, jewelry, decoupage, etc.

DD's crocheted rag rug

New postby Bama on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:51 pm

I've tried to teach DD to crochet and knit several times before. She always got frustrated and gave up. YEARS ago I crocheted lots of rag rugs and had several rolls of strips left. She came across them today in my sewing room closet and asked what it was for. I showed her again how to do a single crochet stitch. She finished this rug while we watched a movie tonight. :applause: She said I should have showed her how to use the Q hook the first time around. I told her she can also make quick scarves with that big hook and 3 strands of yarn. I think she's hooked. ;) I was so proud of her I have to share a pic.
Luna thinks it was made just for her. :D
Attachments
ragrug.jpg
ragrug.jpg (220.66 KB) Viewed 3930 times
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

Re: DD's crocheted rag rug

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:33 am

Luna looks good on it. Very pretty. Move over Lori...She'll be crochetting (spelling?) up a storm in no time. Tell DD I think she did great job..
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:23 am

And why wouldn't Luna think it's hers?? She looks so beautiful on it. Oh oh, the hookers are multiplying at Lori's house. Great job!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 am

Oh oh, the hookers are multiplying at Lori's house.

It's getting to be a real cat house!! :o :o

Great rug. I love the rug. it goes well with the black cats.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 am

Great Project. We are very proud of DD! ! Cat looks beautiful on 'her' new resting place ! !
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Bama on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Lennie and Dorothy, you two crack me up. :lol: That was a nice laugh after a typical Monday at work. ;)

LeapFrog Libby wrote:Great Project. We are very proud of DD! ! Cat looks beautiful on 'her' new resting place ! !

I am very proud of her. :D I knew she would find interest in sewing and crafting again. She loved it when she was younger, then had better things to do for a few years. Now she wants to make something almost every weekend. She worked for a while on another rug made of t-shirt yarn she cut up from her old t-shirts after we cleaned out her closet. The edges are a little wonky so she put it aside for next weekend. She started the second one in a circle instead of an oval. I think I'll pull out the wavy part and fix it for her before she comes back home. :think:
Bama

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Nice job.

My Gram used to make those rag rugs, I think mom still has a couple of them but haven't seen them in awhile. Gram had them in every room of her apartment. I have one of those big hooks somewhere around here, wouldn't it be neat if I figured out how to do them and make one for mom for Christmas? I used to be able to crochet but haven't in years b/c I can't look down that long, it hurts my neck but using a big hook, it wouldn't take long (would it?)

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Bama on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 pm

No, it wouldn't take long with a Q hook. DD made this one in about 2 hours.
Sheets from the thrift store are good for making the strips. T-shirt yarn is even quicker and easier to crochet, once you get the shirts cut into yarn strips. You cut a continuous strip from the bottom 2/3 of each t-shirt. There's lots of tutorials online for cutting t-shirt yarn.
Bama

New postby lendube on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Bama wrote: She worked for a while on another rug made of t-shirt yarn she cut up from her old t-shirts after we cleaned out her closet. The edges are a little wonky so she put it aside for next weekend. She started the second one in a circle instead of an oval. I think I'll pull out the wavy part and fix it for her before she comes back home. :think:

The idea of t-shirt yarn was intriguing so I did a quick search. Check this out. http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.bl ... -yarn.html Seems like fun. I've got gobs and gobs of t-shirts around here. Might be fun to try.

And yes, Lori, Dorothy and I do try our best to brighten your day! :D
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Wow, you are sure hooking it up at your house!!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Next

Return to Other Crafts