Taking Beginner Quilting Classes

The catch-all forum for general quilting discussion.

Taking Beginner Quilting Classes

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Last week was pretty basic info, cutting, pressing, 1/4" seams, etc. I did get four corner squares done plus the others cut out for the block. This week I started on more of the same and about 30 mins. into the class, I had a question and she looked at what I was doing and said we were all done with those, time to start on the second block!!!

So I had gotten ahead of her and "wasted" that time/fabric. Good thing I bought extra. I'm not thinking straight so it was hard to pay attention. We are making a six block sampler so each block is different plus it has sashing and a border so we cover all that during the class. When she gives us the copy/printout of the next block, she explains how "they" want it done (per their instructions) and how she does it to save time or whatever. I wish she'd just tell us "her way" and other ways (if anyone asks) rather than confusing me by explaining two ways at the same time. I like my instructions on paper so I can refer to them when needed but since we aren't doing them that way, I get "lost"....

Still having fun and enjoying the adult company/chatter as we sew. I need some local sewing buddies rather than being in the sewing room by myself.

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Taking Beginner Quilting Classes

New postby carman on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 am

i have had many instructors over the years as well as being one :) every teacher as in schools teaches different, some REALLY know their stuff a yet cannot get it across, others you wonder why they are they in front. i have been in many that i have chatted with my whoever is next to me and learned TONS from them. when i teach i always have samples of the steps, as that is the way i learn, but also have the step by step instructions on paper for this that don't like listening (like me lol) i also love it when students interact as we ALL learn and new tips are always out there and newbies have many :D i must admit i have done what your teacher is doing many times :o after doing a pattern you come up with an easier faster way and even fabric saving

carman
carman

New postby bridesmom on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:55 pm

I know what you mean about the adult company, that's why I love my quilt guild. And you learn so much from others too. There are tons of time/fabric saving ways to do things, and you'll learn them. Sometimes when I read directions I have a really hard time figuring out what and why they are doing what they are doing. If you ever get a chance to watch or get a book of Eleanor Burns, she's fantastic, she has some of the greatest tricks and her quilt in a day, really truly is a quilt in a day. Plus she's hilarious. If I remember correctly you don't have a fast internet connection, but if you get the chance check out some of her demos on http://www.quilterstv.com/, it's all free. Have fun in your class, hopefully you will find a friend or two that lives closer to you so you can do 'play dates'.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:28 am

Third class last night, I spent most of it finishing block number two. Now on to block three that I didn't even get cut out! My brain is just not processing instructions even though I skipped the pain med b/c I was driving. I'd like to at least get next weeks class done then I may ask to stop and pick up the later two classes on the next offering. At this rate I'd have to pay to repeat them again anyway and I'm sure she'll let me postpone them as well as the class April 14th on free motion that I've already paid for.

She did come and get my machine from the car and carried it in and back out for me as it's quite heavy. I can handle the bag and my cutting mat (I made a one seam sleeve with a handle) so it rolls up and slides in, took me about 5 mins. and much easier to manage.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself Kathy! Work at your own pace, and after a few blocks you'll get the idea and be able to plunk along at your own pace.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Fourth class tonight, three blocks finished and a fourth cut out. The last two are "homework" to be finished by next week, then she'll show us the sashing and binding at the last class. I am going to try to get them done tomorrow/Thursday as I go back to Eville on Friday.

dd22 is having her wisdom teeth cut out at 630am and we'll be done by 9am. My dr. appt is at 10am a couple blocks away so she is going to wait in the car until I'm done. Then, depending on how she's feeling, I will stop by the shop and show them to the instructor in case somethings not right or I need help. Saturday is my free motion class (same place, same instructor) so if I need to fix/redo anything, maybe I can do it Friday afternoon/evening and take it back on Saturday.

I'm functioning a little better on just pain meds and I'm not taking the Lyrica which was making me very irritable and very forgetful. We'll see what I find out Friday.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Here are blocks 1-5 of a 6 block sampler. I can't figure out how to do the last one and my brain is too tired to do any more tonight. I did send them an email asking for dimensions of the flying geese so I'll know when I get it right once I feel like sewing some more. I did the first three in class and cut out the 4th, cut out the 5th/6th today and sewed #4 and #5 this evening while home by myself. I still have two more classes so time is not an issue esp since I know I can do the binding on my own and can use that class time if needed for something else.
block one.jpg
block one.jpg (19.7 KB) Viewed 5324 times
block two.jpg
block two.jpg (20.9 KB) Viewed 5321 times

block three.jpg
block three.jpg (23.04 KB) Viewed 5321 times
block four.jpg
block four.jpg (19.71 KB) Viewed 5323 times

block five.jpg
block five.jpg (19.91 KB) Viewed 5321 times

Kathy
kjh9835