Modern Monochromatic Quilt Tutorial

Basic/Beginner quilting tips and techniques.

Modern Monochromatic Quilt Tutorial

New postby susandf on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

I am traditionalist.

My boys (now men) are more urban and modern. But they still need quilts!!!

So using a modern, urban monochromatic black and grey colorway, and traditional blocks in a contemporary way, the Modern Monochromatic Quilt is underdevelopment.

To improve the precision of the piecing, I used Paper Piecing. (Every minute deviation shows when using semi-solid fabrics!!)

Thinking that there might be a beginning quilter out there that might like to put together some simple blocks for a modern quilt, I put together a tutorial as I work through the quilt.

The Tutorial starts at: http://destashification.com/2012/06/05/the-mmq-modern-monochromatic-quilt-block-1-and-border/.

I know these blocks look like they are black and white photos, but "Do not adjust your sets!" - These are the true colors (or lack thereof). The lack of color is very challenging for me - it is all I can do to keep from adding a bright red or orange!!
Image Image Image
The Destashification Project at: http://destashification.com/
susandf

Re: Modern Monochromatic Quilt Tutorial

New postby bridesmom on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 pm

I can totally see where you are just dying to add some color, though for a young man's quilt, I think it's going to be very suitable. How large are you making it?
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

I don't see that a touch of red or yellow would do any harm but that's just me. I think they'll look very cool as a quilt just the same. Anxious to see the finished product, Susan.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Magot on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 am

I have similar thought regarding young mans quilt Susan and so made one for my (now) son in law with deep victorian greens and blues. I like the discipline of just using 5 monochrome colours - with contemporary design. I'll be interested to see how it all goes together with the saying. Have you thought of slashing some blocks and inserting a strip to being interest? HAve fun - it is always good to think outside of the block sometimes.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby bridesmom on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Amen to that Jan! I am totally hooked on modern quilting. No patterns for me any more, I just go with what I come up with. The guild I am in is all modern quilters, even some older than me!!! My whole style of quilting has changed. I'm in love with solids now and lots of it!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Return to Basic/Beginner Quilting