Flying Geese are a P-A-I-N

Basic/Beginner quilting tips and techniques.

Flying Geese are a P-A-I-N

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm beginning to hate them with a passion. The 4th class we were given homework for blocks 5 and 6. The final block is 8 flying geese. I cut them out, stitched them, they didn't line up. I took them apart, pressed, measured each piece, re-stitched, and they still didn't line up. Tried again, each piece is exactly the same size but when I put all of them together and made the center of a pinwheel match, the outer edges were off.

I tossed them and re-cut all new pieces making sure they were cut exactly straight and the right size again. I just started stitching the left "wing" over the "body". If I make the bottom edges match, then the tip is off. If I make the tip match, then to bottom is off. I'm getting so frustrated as I've measured and measured and measured. Last week's class she taught us about borders, sashing and binding. I really wanted to have all 6 blocks done along with the sashing and borders but I'm losing patience.

I don't think I'll be making many of these. The other blocks were much easier to do. I like a challenge now and then but not this one!

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Flying Geese are a P-A-I-N

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 am

Kathy , I saw a Fons & Porter program where Marianne was teaching her Daughter about flying geese, and she had a Pattern that was made out of that heavy stuff like the rulers are made of. It had a blunt end on one end of the triangle and they said that is the best way to get perfect flying geese. So, I am assuming the extra sharp points on your triangles are the problem you are having. I suggest you experiment with scraps and try removing a little of one of the tips only and see if you can get better results. Theirs cam out perfectly with the top at the point showing exactly 1/4 inch of the background after each one was made.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 am

Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 am

After posting the above link I vaguely remember something about you not being able to watch videos.....so here is a link to instructions.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby Liz92B on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 am

and are you using a 'scant' ¼" seam allowance?
Have you tried paper piecing? Quilter's Cache has a whole series on ways to make Flying Geese, including paper piecing on page 2 ...
http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html
Liz / Calgary
Liz92B

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

I use method B from Quilter's Cache to make my FG units. But I've found another tutorial that gives similiar but with more instructions & has better pictures. Maybe this will help you get better accuracy with your pieces.
http://piecefulkwilter.blogspot.ca/2010/02/no-waste-flying-geese-tutorial.html

But when I'm making FG uints, I usually cut the squares bit bigger and square up afterwards to get the exact size required. The trick is when squaring up you leave a 1/4" seam allowance above your point and that the point is positioned at the centre measurement before trimming. For example, if the finished unit is to be 4" wide by 2" high it will need to measure 4.5" x 2.5" when trimmed. The point needs to be positioned at the 1/4" mark vertically from the top of the ruler and at the 2 1/4" mark from the right side of the ruler. And you need to make sure that the diagonal of the goose unit runs directly thru the 2 .5" mark at the right side of the ruler before trimming the right and top sides. Then you will need to turn the unit upside down and line up the trimmed edges at the 4.5" and 2.5" marks of the ruler and make sure that the diagonal line is going thru the top right corner of the ruler before trimming along the right side and top of the ruler. Geez...hope that this makes sense.... :think:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby icetbear on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks so much for posting the various links for FG. ;) For me, Judy's post is my best bet. I am learning to leave wiggle room in quilting. Frustration is part of the learning curve, but too much and the pleasure turns to a chore. Thanks again for taking time to search out the links. Take care.

NanaBear
icetbear

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Holy cow Judy, that makes my head spin. I re-them again after I posted but had to quit due to another situation. I may or may not work on them tomorrow and I may or may not even make it to the class. I had Joe check my measurements after I cut them and they are perfect. I think my problem is when I cut them diagonally...

The first/second tutorials is how we were taught to make them. I can't get the third one that you posted to load, my computer locked up. I'll check it again tomorrow, it's been a long day.

Thanks,
Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 am

The one that Judy posted, even though seems strange works well. And wiggle room is always a must! Personally I hate making FG too.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Magot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Yes, Flying geese are a pain. Nuff said.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

Next

Return to Basic/Beginner Quilting