rag quilt help needed

Basic/Beginner quilting tips and techniques.

rag quilt help needed

New postby sewingmom on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:24 am

I'd like to do a simple rag quilt like I think Linnie made recently with freyed edges around each block. I need to be able to get it done STAT. What sort of fabric do I need. It is for a baby quilt. How much fabric do I need. I need some clear concise instructions from start to finish and its got to be a quik sort of thing. If I can't do that I will just cut out some blocks and stitch them together and make a tie quilt. Got a lot to do with Thanksgiving being at my house after all this year and the baby shower is on the 19th of this mnth and I am on call all weekend nest weekend. :o (As if I didn't know a month ago when I needed to have this done :oops: )
sewingmom

Re: rag quilt help needed

New postby lendube on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 am

Here ya go! I've made maybe a dozen by now and they're easy. These are the instructions I used for my first one and haven't had to check since. They're that easy.

http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpa ... _basic.htm

As far as how much fabric to get that depends on the size you want of course. For my most recent cradle rag quilt I bought 1 yd each of three patterns and I had leftovers. I used flannel. You don't have to wash it first because washing it two or three times afterwards is what gives the desired effect of the ruffled edges.

Good luck and I'll check in often to see if you have questions.
Last edited by lendube on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 am

Thank You Lennie!
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:59 pm

I found everything I need in my stash and have 42 more blocks to cut. I'll wait and sew on it at night after work next week. I want to use the old treddle machine. I will also restyle an old pair of DH overalls into a diaper bag. This is for my oldest Grandsons first child due in Dec. Thanks again Linnie for getting me started. That link has all the information I needed. Linnie. Did you use flannel for the middle layer???
Hmm, I may have to skip the treddle or at least just do a portion of it at night after work. Gotta get it done. :o Lots of things to get started and finished.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I thought that was a great tutorial too. I used old flannel bedsheets a sister in law gave me 11 years ago. I used two thin layers in between the two outer layers. She gave me so many (king sized) that I've used them for every rag quilt I've ever made. I think I may get one more out of the bunch before I actually have to buy flannel for the middle layers. Oh, btw, it helps to co-ordinate the colors of the middle layers to the outside somewhat. Don't get real picky about it but don't mix darks and pastels for instance. The inside layers colors will show but unless the prints on them are very bold, prints won't show. I also usually make my seams between 5/8ths and 3/4ths. I noticed they recommended 1/2 inch.
Lennie

lendube

New postby sewingmom on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:25 pm

I have started with the intention of using 1/2 inch. If I planned correctly that seam allowance will give me a 42" square quilt. Guess I'll see how that works before trying the larger SA.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm sure it'll work fine. I guess it's just a personal preference. Might be harder to clip than a bigger s/a. The clipping is tedious. If you have some spring tension scissors use them by all means. I used my large fiskars and that worked alright but I finally gave in and bought some little 2 inch soft touch spring loaded fiskars and they worked great. They were 14.99 at Joann's and I used my 40% off coupon.
Lennie

lendube

New postby sewingmom on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I'll be near Joanns and Harbor freight tomorrow after church. Yipee!!!
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:24 am

Ok, is anybody else in the quilting ladies sitting here reading this post giggling away as we read about Lennie giving quilting tips!!!!! Way to go Lennie! I think there's a quilter in you that is just starting to come out! :D :D :D . I bought a pair of blunt tipped scissors to do the clipping with, as my pointed ones always seemed to end up clipping the threads, and you have a heck of a mess once you wash it and it starts falling apart because you have clipped the thread seams!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 am

LAURA!!!! :oops: It's a CRAFT project!
Lennie

lendube

Next

Return to Basic/Beginner Quilting