making play food

For those little ones in your life!

making play food

New postby pucktricks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:59 pm

My boys have a great toy kitchen, but I'd like for them to have some play food, and I don't particularly like most of the sets available. Mainly because, half of them seem to be mainly canned food and little cardboard boxes. So, I had this brilliant brainstorm of making them play food out of cloth, and playfoam. This seems like a wonderful idea, but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions of how to go about it? I have some felt and lots of little pieces of various cotton fabrics. Any suggestions?

Ticia
pucktricks

Re: making play food

New postby DorothyL on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 am

What a great idea.
I can't help you much though. A couple years ago I made my dolls a polymer clay turkey. I regularly made them outfits and photographed them for for friends to see. It was thanksgiving season and I'd made aprons so I made them a clay turkey for the photo. Wouldn't you know I left the turkey in the oven a little long and it came out a little black around the edges.

Those darn dolls can't cook any better than I can.

I think you will have fun sewing food for your boys. Kids aren't picky at that age. And they will be able to have clean food fights!!
DorothyL

New postby temom on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:03 am

One of my friends did this. I'll have to ask her if she had a pattern. I think she made pizza, bacon, and eggs. She may have made other stuff, but this was several years ago.
Theresa
temom

New postby Magot on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:36 am

If you knit there are patterns out there -

http://www.magknits.com/feb06/patterns/sushi.htm knitted sushi

http://www.morecambesands.com/knitting_ ... _cake.html knitted cakes....

the latter has links to many other useful and delicious items!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 am

I used to have a pattern back in the 70's for food made from felt. I also had a book for plastic canvas food. I will look later to see if I still have either.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby pucktricks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:17 pm

sigh, no knitting here. It'd be a nice skill to learn, but I have yet to actually learn it. I tried once when I was in elementary school, but I'm left handed, and that throws everyone off.

I hadn't even thought of making pizza, that's a good idea, and they'd love that.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Ticia,
If you have access to a Hobby Lobby store, they have knit and crochet instr. books that are teach yourself and show step by step for lefties as well as traditional method for righties.. I bought the crochet one for 6.50 and it is super... I have no problem following along and doing the steps.. I'm getting pretty good.. I have made 2 of those great double potholders .. I peeked at the knitting book, but I did not buy it.. I think I remember enough about knitting.. (to cast on anyway, we will have to see how it goes after that) LOL
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:19 pm

I forgot what I was going to suggest.. Why not buy some felt squares.. Wal Mart has a large assortment of colors. Just get a needle and thread and make you r own veggies.. Peas, Beans, Carrots, Potatoes, etc should be easy.. Let the kids help you decide what they need.. I made my boys broccoli stalks when they were little.. (they both loved broccoli, it is their favorite veggie)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby AndreaSews on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:33 pm

I love your idea! Should you become busy, or otherwise lose your motivation, check out constplay.com We ordered a pretend food set from them a few yrs ago, and it's all very realistic, not canned/boxed stuff, and mostly healthy choices. These items still pop up on our kitchen table from time to time :)
But really, your project sounds like a fun one!
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby temom on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 pm

My friend is out of town, so I will have to ask her next week (what foods she made and if she had a pattern etc).
Theresa
temom

Next

Return to Sewing for Children