Deal on fabric

For those little ones in your life!

Deal on fabric

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Sunday evening we decided to hit a couple of thrift stores just before closing. I hit the jackpot with fabric. There were yards and yards of fleece in perfect condition that I can make buntings with for this winter and cottons I can make outfits with. All were priced under $3/piece. One beautiful piece of fleece was 5 yards long and was marked at $2.99. Even DH was excited about it. All my purchases of fabric averaged out to under $1/yard. Can't do that in the stores anymore, at least not in my area. Today as I was browsing another thrift store and found a fast turn for under $2. Have always wanted one but didn't want to buy new since they are expensive when you aren't sure you'll be using them that much. Now to find a place to stash all this new fabric! :oops:
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Deal on fabric

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 pm

I call that being in the right place at the right time ! ! Congrats Brockie.. That is great news..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:04 pm

WooHoo!!! Way to go, Brockie!!! That is a fabulous find. Unfortunately, such deals are not in the thrift stores that I have found in Memphis.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Marty, it isn't very often that I find such deals here either. Usually any fabric is in pieces not large enough to do anything with or so old it is rotting or so expensive it would be cheaper to buy off the bolt in a fabric store.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:44 pm

The Goodwill Stores here sell "textiles" at one price, regardless of yardage involved. I once got 10 yards of Cranston print works fabric for that price $ 1.98 , got home and measured it and it was 10 yards of fabric. Black background and all colored fish in all different sizes was the pattern. Gorgeous fabric. They do not have fabric very often, and they had to look in the book to see what to charge for that. I tried to give them more , but they could not take more than the book said.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewhappyrtr on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:29 am

That was a great find!!! Our Goodwill stores hardly ever have fabric... or anything neat anymore..
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:55 am

The Goodwill stores in Memphis quit accepting fabric. One of our ASG members was moving away and she had a lot of fabric to give away. She gave a lot to ASG members and what they didn't take, she took to several Goodwill donation centers who refused it. The bins and bins of fabric ended up in a dumpster somewhere. So sad!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Sewing for Children