Too small, now what?

For those little ones in your life!

Too small, now what?

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:42 am

I made this pattern, Simplicity 2459 http://www.simplicity.com/p-4478-babies-romper-and-jumper.aspxthe other day when I asked about overall straps/button placement, [/url]http://talk.sew-whats-up.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6236.[url] It has what I call "side seam vents" that button closed right at the line of the first ruffle which is sewn to the bodice, the remaining ruffles were sewn to the skirt base.

So, the twins don't have any patriotic dresses and I went to get the same pattern in a larger size since I cut this one out small and didn't trace it/make a copy of the original like I've done before. They didn't have it so I bought a slightly different pattern, McCalls 6270 http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6270-products-13573.php?page_id=487&search_control=display&list=search. View D

patriotic dresses for twins.jpg
patriotic dresses for twins.jpg (29.72 KB) Viewed 8147 times

I did not make these with the ruffles attached to stays and then each tier sewn together per the directions. I made the skirt base, put the ruffles the full width but left them un-stitched at the side seam. Then attached it to the bodice, sewed the side seam of the skirt to close it up and top stitched the couple inches of ruffles down. I also made a self fabric bodice so I didn't have to do the bias trim at the necline and I used 2 fabrics for each one, red/white and blue/white. Ended up buying more fabric than called for as I couldn't get my brain to function when trying to figure out how much I needed for the ruffles and they weren't made per directions but not a big deal, I can use it later.

Or sooner, as they do not fit!!! I only used a 3/8" seam allowance on the blue one since Justice is a bit bigger than Joslyn. I tried the red/smaller dress on Joslyn, got it on but thought I was going to have to cut it off her. I didn't try the larger one on her but I should have b/c now I don't know if maybe it fits and I only need to remake/fix one. The armholes are too tight/not large enough but the top ruffle starts there at the bottom edge of the armhole.

1) If I take the top ruffle off and cut the armhole a bit deeper, the ruffle is going to have to go lower and mess up the spacing between them.

2) I could remake the bodices just a bit longer and leave extra room at the bottom/side seam area of them to make the "side vents" at the side seam and add buttons then put the first ruffle at the same height, sewing it to front/back of the new vent (like the first dress) OR

3) I could remake the bodies and add the extra room at the shoulder seam so it hangs longer? OR

4) Combination of both?

Joe had to help me finish them yesterday afternoon before we went to a family dinner, I was snipping threads on the way there. I need to fix them today and mail them out tomorrow (postage cheaper than gas to hand deliver them) so what the best way to make them bigger without having to remove all the layers of ruffles?

Kathy
(edited to add pic)
kjh9835

Re: Too small, now what?

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 am

Those dresses are adorable. What a shame they do not fit. Perhaps starting over with new fabric would be easie thatn fixing the fit of thesw. Some other child might love them. As for a fix,Could you just leave the top ruffel where it is and stitch around the armescye where it needs to be, before cutting it out deeper. Then use some self bias to finish it off. The bottom of the ruffel would stay in the same place and the top edge would be under the arm and not so obvious as to the change. The other thing you could do is just end that ruffell at the edge fo the armscye and take out the part under the arm. Now that would only fix the debth of the armscye. If the width of the dress needs fixing then that is another story. Could you just add a piece of fabric at the center back to to give a bit more width and just take out some of the gathers to lengthen the ruffells. I just hate to remake a whole dress so I am pretty good at dreaming up new ways to fix something. The only problem is it looks good sometimes and sometimes not.
sewingmom

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am

I don't have enough fabric to completely remake both of them and no money to buy more fabric :(

But since the armsyce area is the tight part and not the actual circumference of the dress being really tight, I think I will remake both bodices and add some length to the shoulder seam. The star buttons are just sewn on for decoration, not functional. Put two regular buttons on the strap and buttonhole in the bodice (like I did the original dress for the other little girl). The bottom of the bodice/top of the 1st ruffle is the tightest part and it's snug but I figured they would only wear them July-Aug-Sept and it would be ok.

I serged the edges of both the bodice and the skirt and also the ruffle strip before I ran it thru the ruffler attachment. All three of those edges (one being ruffled) are sewn together on top of each other then pressed down towards the skirt.

If I drop the top ruffle down just a bit below the top edge of the skirt, then sew the bodice and skirt seam together, there won't be the added layer of ruffled fabric right IN that seam so it should give a little more wiggle room?

And since I am remaking the bodices, I'll add just a bit to the length also and make the back neck opening of two buttons longer and put three buttons there for more room getting it on/off.

Does that make sense or have I confused you?

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 am

Does that make sense or have I confused you?

Sounds like a good plan to me!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

I would have been tempted to open up the shoulder seam and insert a piece and then put a piece of wide elastic in so that the inserted piece gathered up, did that make any sense? I know what I'm thinking, it's just getting it out into words that make sense.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm

I would have been tempted to open up the shoulder seam and insert a piece and then put a piece of wide elastic in so that the inserted piece gathered up, did that make any sense? I know what I'm thinking, it's just getting it out into words that make sense

I know what you mean, prob. would have been easier. I've done so much rippin and pickin. Off and on yesterday, finally quit. Tried again today, sewed bodices on backwards so the back opening was at the side on one piece and the actual back on the other and that was AFTER I sewed them on the wrong side of the skirt!!!!

I quit today and will try again tomorrow.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 pm

I have not been motivated like I should be. I finally have the blue one done except for the buttons/buttonholes. I had to totally remake the red one then realized I had used the wrong size skirt base from a different pattern and it would not go together right. Taught me a lesson to only have one pattern out at a time and to clean up after each project. I usually do but its so hot on the porch that I just run out, do whatever quickly and get back in the house.

I ripped all the ruffles off, made the correct skirt base, had to make a couple of the ruffles longer but had extra length already made. Then I put them back on and for the life of me I don't know why I was sewing them against the direction of the ruffle and having to stop and poke pieces back in when they caught on the presser foot. :doh: I put it down to go fix a drink, picked it up and started again from the other side and then I realized I'd be doing them backwards :brick:

Anyway, the red one is also nearly complete and I'm sure it will fit. I will finish them in the morning and deliver them in the afternoon since now it's too late to mail them.

Maybe I should start their Christmas dresses now?...lol

Kathy
kjh9835

Return to Sewing for Children