Morre Burda questions. 9490 view B

For those little ones in your life!

Morre Burda questions. 9490 view B

New postby sewingmom on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Top is comming along but amd doing the binding around armscye and it transitions into straps and i am not sure I am doing it correctly. Ha anyone sewn this top pattern???
sewingmom

Re: Morre Burda questions. 9490 view B

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:44 pm

If you use same fabric for the binding, you just extend the binding around the armhole & go up another designated number of inches to make the ties. Otherwise, just use bias binding for the armhole & straps. It's like you're making a strap, enclosing the armhole & then making another strap all in one step. Hope this is clear as mud.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Marty, the instructions made it hard. I got one done but what a pain. I knew I should trim the seams before trying to turn the strap inside out but the instructions didn't say anything about trimming before turning. It is a spegettii strap. I can't imagine Why they made it so dificult. I am making a second one so it will go smoother next time. I think I will do it your way next time.

I'm all in. Lets get some sleep. I hope I don't get called in. My head hurts tonight. Think a little tylenol is in order.
My eyes are probably dry and making my head hurt. Time for eye drops too.
Get some sleep Marty. Its a new day. Sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite.
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

I finaly got the :x darned spegettii straps turned. What a chore. The next top should go faster. Now for the dreaded :? button placket.

edited: 11:45 AM
How does one see to stitch in the ditch on white fabric?????????????????
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:27 pm

I use an edge joining foot & keep the blade just left of the seamline. I focus on where the needle goes not anything else.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I can do the stitch in the ditch on the straight seams but the armscye seams at the edge of the binding, well I just am all over the place and not int the ditch even with my stitch itn the ditch foot. I'll try again tomorrow.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm

You could hand stitch it down, it's not that big an area to do.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Laura, I just felt it would be sturdier if machine stitched. I have made so many errors on this top that even though the stitching in the ditch is done poorly, it will just have to do. Now I have dicided that I have the buttons on a bit out of line and will resew them. I have also learned that one needs to make sure the button plackett needs to be the same length on both sides of the center front. :brick: . No wonder I have not been sewing much. I even put the button holes in wrong and didn't notice the problem till I finished cutting them open. I kept thinking that the pattern company made a mistake because they didn't make the button plackett wide enough. My bad. They didn't mean for me to run the button holes crosswise on the plackett. :brick: :brick: Where was my mind??????. This is a learning experience, this is a learning experience. This is........... This is............ This is..........
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:00 pm

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/52147
Here is a link to the pattern. I am making view B. I am finished with the wearable muslin except for redoing the buttons and buttonholes. The top is about 30 inches in diameter at underarm level and expands rapidly to 40inches at brest level. Chloe is 27 in the chest and bra cup is nearly non-existant. her hips are 27 also I think. I think I will cut some out of the next top width and taake out some of the flare. Do you suppose it will still hang like the top on the front of the pattern? I think it will be a source of embarresment when she bends forward if I don't. Should I just take out some of the gathering in the front and back and cut the excess off at center front. I did lengthen the top by 2 inches first time around because Chloe wears her pants down on her hips. The first one is lined but the second one will not be .
003 Medium Web view.jpg
003 Medium Web view.jpg (46.69 KB) Viewed 7269 times

002 Medium Web view.jpg
002 Medium Web view.jpg (40.42 KB) Viewed 7258 times

001 Medium Web view.jpg
001 Medium Web view.jpg (42.36 KB) Viewed 7257 times
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I think that I would take some out of the sides & put make the front band smaller since Chloe's chest is 3 inches smaller than the given measurement. It's going to be very loose fitting with a 40 inch hip on a 27 inch hip. That's 13 inches in excess. I would use your pattern drafting software to make the entire pattern smaller to fit Chloe better for the next top. Just thinking here ...
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Next

Return to Sewing for Children