Embellishing Onesies

For those little ones in your life!

Embellishing Onesies

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 am

I have a friend having twins (one boy and one girl), so I thought I'd make her something like this:

I bought the onesies yesterday, and am now wondering how to attach the fabric. Onesies are knits, so do I need to buy knit fabric -- or at least flannel -- for the letters? Then, do I just sew on the fabric letters, or do I have to make them appliques? Of course, my next question is how do I applique? I've heard the word several times before, but have no idea what it means or how to attach appliques to a onesie.

(Also, if you can think of other designs that could be split, let me know! The only restriction is that it be appropriate for both the boy and girl, and that it's a distinctive enough shape that I could get away with using a fun, multi-colored fabric to fill in the silhouette.)
SmilieFace

Re: Embellishing Onesies

New postby lendube on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 pm

IMHO, Smilie, this won't be easy since onsies are such thin stretchy material usually. Your applique is bound to be heavier than the onsie fabric. Here, if you want to practice applique, is an easy method. I haven't done much applique at all but this works well and would make it easy for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvh4Hx6ZoA
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:21 pm

How about "TANS" on one & "SPAR" on th other ;) Sorry I had to do it!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby carman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:39 pm

do you know someone with an embroidery machine? there a million things to embroidery on them that work really easy :D

carman
carman

New postby carman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 pm

it would take probably 30 minutes to embroidery them on

carman
carman

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:31 pm

I have an embroidery machine. :) (To be more accurate, though, I have an embroidery machine, but not a functional hoop. :o )That might work for these letters, but I also would like to be able to do more than letters. Like half a sun on one and the other half on the second, so when the babies lay next together, you just see a sun.

Also, I don't know how to embroidery on knits... Maybe this should be my new skill for 2012.

And NO Barb, to your idea. Go Blue!
SmilieFace

New postby carman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 pm

its all in the stabilizer for knits, then its easy :D

carman
carman

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Smilie, Sonia Showalter has some wonderful designs for children & infants on her site. http://www.soniashowalterdesigns.com & the price is very reasonable. To embroider on knit, I would recommend a medium weight fusible tearaway (Floriani makes one called Heat & Sta). It leaves the back very soft as this is what I used on the christening gown that I am making. I think a lovely applique would easy to do as all you have to do is use a basting spray or something like steam-a-seam to hold it in place & then satin stitch around the edges. You can just letters out of fabric & applique them on the onesies. Just use a soft stabilizer on the back to not irritate the baby's skin.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby carman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.embroiderydesigns.com/design ... Text=twins

here is a site with some twin designs, to many possibilities :D

carman
carman

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:49 pm

MartySews2 wrote:SmiliTo embroider on knit, I would recommend a medium weight fusible tearaway (Floriani makes one called Heat & Sta). It leaves the back very soft as this is what I used on the christening gown that I am making. I think a lovely applique would easy to do as all you have to do is use a basting spray or something like steam-a-seam to hold it in place & then satin stitch around the edges. You can just letters out of fabric & applique them on the onesies. Just use a soft stabilizer on the back to not irritate the baby's skin.
Marty ;)

Do I use a tear away stabilizer if I applique also? Or just if I embroider?
SmilieFace

Next

Return to Sewing for Children