questions on making receiving blankets

For those little ones in your life!

questions on making receiving blankets

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 am

A niece is having a baby (girl) in Nov and I want to make her some receiving blankets. I found some cute crochet edgings I could make around the edge instead of turning or binding, and I'd like to make them 2 layers of flannel. My question is I know the fabric isn't on grain and no matter what I do I can't get it there. Can't pull a thread, can't follow a thread, tried squaring it to the selvages-didn't work. If I just cut a square and back it with another cut square and I crochet them together will they get all wonkie and pulled out of shape from each other in the wash? I do plan on tying it as I would a quilt.
I've made single layer receiving blankets in the past and didn't worry about them getting out of shape as they are easy enough to pull back into shape when you fold them. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: questions on making receiving blankets

New postby DorothyL on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:37 am

I think anytime you cut off grain you run a risk of things getting wonky.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 am

Some fabrics come off of the bolt off-grain as it wasn't woven correctly from the beginning. Cheap chinese imports come to mind. I would look at getting a different fabric to make the blankets & use the off grain stuff as a press cloth or cleaning rag.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:22 am

Did you wash the fabric? Flannels are notoriously off grain and they shrink so much. I've worked with flannel twice recently and I found that if I found the middle point of each selvage, put them together, I could lay the fabric down doubled and straighten it out. I had an overlap of about three to four inches on each side but the rest seemed to lay flat and straight. I made the flannel shirt doing that first (I had two pieces of the fabric to start with.) and had no problems with being off grain.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 am

lennie, I do not quiet understand how this is done. The last flannel I bought for gifts is still in the stash because I couldn't straighten the grain. It was from a store thet sold only good quality cottons.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:49 am

I'm explaining it poorly. I'll try again. If it's not too big a piece just fold it double as you normally would before cutting. Hold it in front of you with your fingers inside the fold. You might have to move it this way and that sideways to get it to hang straight (but the ends will be very uneven). That should be the straight of grain. Trim the ends off and it should be okay.

I'm so bad at explaining things. In essence I'm just saying to let the fabric go where it wants so it lays straight and flat then trim the ends. Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't had any problem with my projects tweaking.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:52 pm

I'd also suggest washing the fabric first, then doing what Lennie suggested and they should be ok, specially if you are going to tie them together. Or you could lay the pieces flat wrong sides together, sew across at 4-6" intervals but always start your next row on the same side you ended the first row, do the same the other way so you have a blocked looking quilt, trim it square, then do your crocheting around the edges. Make sense??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingrandma on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I had washed the flannel, twice and ended up with about 4 inches less than what I started with. Lennie, I do what you describe on most of my fabrics and haven't had much trouble either with wonkiness. This piece of flannel just doesn't want to cooperate at all. It may just end up in the trash since there is so little to work with now.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby momquilts on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 pm

You could always cut a smaller square from 2 fabrics and sew a nice stiff ribbon (folded to make a loop) between the layers and make a 'taggie'. Don't know what the attraction is but babies love to chew/suck on the 'tags'. My twin DGSs just about chew the tags off their bibs so I guess I should make one for each of them.
momquilts

New postby sewingmom on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Sewinggrandma, perhaps lots of steam woulh help you to straighten the flannel. I seem to remember one instructor telling me to tug and pull at the fabric and apply lots of steam and tug andpull again till its straight. Sounds like to much work to me. Flanel would make good dust cloths.
sewingmom

Next

Return to Sewing for Children