baby gifts

For those little ones in your life!

baby gifts

New postby Bama on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I need some ideas for an inexpensive baby gift. Something that will sew up quicker than a quilt, as I need it by next Tuesday. A woman I know who has a 14 yo daughter who is expecting a baby. Sad story. The grandmother to be is a single mother on one income so I want to give something useful, yet I can't spend much. Most of the people at work have bought diapers, baby toys, or clothing. I thought I might make a bunch of burp clothes. That's something not many people think of to buy. What's a good size to make them? Should I use flannel? Cloth diapers? What's the best shape for actual use, rectangle or hour glass shaped? Or maybe I should make receiving blankets? I also thought about a small "lovey blanket" with different textures of fabric and ribbon loops around the edges.
It's been a long time since my kids were babies. Some of you moms or grandmothers with babies please give me some input. Any other ideas welcome. I'll be shopping for supplies tomorrow afternoon.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

Re: baby gifts

New postby Glennssister on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Bama, last fall I made a fleece baby blanket with a woven edging. The grandmother says her grandaughter loves to rub her hands over the fleece. They use it as a throw when they want to lay the baby down on the floor to play.
Hancocks has had fleece on sale lately.
Belinda
Glennssister

New postby MakNBuns on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Here's some sites for ideas

http://www.newconceptions.com/free.htm

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/baby.html#diaper

http://www.craftfreebies.com/sewing.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cl_children/article/0,2025,DIY_13726_2271293,00.html

http://www.craftbits.com/viewCategory.do?categoryID=SEW

I'm sure that whatever you make her, she will NEED.

Have Fun
MakNBuns

New postby Bama on Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks Belinda. I didn't think about a fleece blanket. I have some satin blanket binding somewhere around here. I'll have to see if I can find some cute fleece on sale that will match it. I like stretching my dollars so I can give more items for the gift.

MakNBuns,
Thank you for the links. LOTS of great ideas. I bookmarked several of them. My best friend is getting a new grandson in December. Hopefully I'll find more time to make lots of things by then.
Bama

New postby toadusew on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 am

One of my favorite things to make is a reversible flannel baby blanket. I buy one yard each of cute flannel, put wrong sides together and serge around the outside. This makes a quick, easy gift. Sometimes I'll embroider something on one side of the blanket. I made my granddaughter one of these blankets at Christmas and since she was only two months old, I embroidered "Baby's First Christmas" on it and the year. My daugher loved it! If you don't have a serger, you could still do this, but put right sides together and sew it up like a pillowcase. After it's turned right side out, then you could just top stitch it or you could use a decorative stitch around the edge of the blanket to dress it up a little. ( I originally got this idea from Sandra Betzina's tv show when it was still airing.)

Happy Sewing! :D
toadusew

New postby Glennssister on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:28 am

Bama, If you want to stretch your dollars a little more here is a way to finish the edge without blanket binding.
cut a 3inch square out of each corner of the blanket. Fold the edges of each side over 1 1/2 inch. stitch along the unfinished edge. I used a blind hem stitch to imitate a blanket stitch. Then cut each edge into strips stopping before you cut into the stitches. When you finish you will have loops along each edge. Begin to weave the loops like you would if you were making pot holders from loops. It will look braided. just continue around the edge till you get to the last loop and tuck it in so that it looks like its braided in. Take a few stitches to secure it and your done. It makes a nice finish and If there is a child around you could start them doing the braid while you sew on the next item.
My DGD did it while watching TV and supervising her younger cousin sewing.
Belinda
Glennssister

New postby Sherri on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:56 am

toadusew wrote: put right sides together and sew it up like a pillowcase. After it's turned right side out, then you could just top stitch it or you could use a decorative stitch around the edge of the blanket to dress it up a little. ( I originally got this idea from Sandra Betzina's tv show when it was still airing.)

This is what I usually do but I put one side flannel and one cotton. Usually I try to put there name in the corner. It is a very handy blankie to have.
After a very hard spring I am crafting out my doldrums. Sunnier skies are coming.
Sherri

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:22 pm

I moved this topic to "Sewing for Children"

Blankets are always fun and useful -- here's a little tutorial from craftster on how to make a "tag" blanket: Tag blanket - this has little ribbon loops around the edge that babies presumably like to play with - haven't seen one in action, though.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Bama on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks Kaitlin. I should have put this in "sewing for children" in the first place. :oops: That tag blanket is like the lovey blanket I had in mind, except I was going to use some cotton novelty print squares for one side, and a satin for the back. A friend's grandson has a store bought one that he carries and his mom said it's much better than a huge blanket to lug around everywhere. (I think I'll make my 3yo great nephew one so he'll stop carrying his HUGE fleece blankie around in 95 degree temps. :) He rubs the satin binding on his face all the time. Maybe he would swap if he had one with tractors on it. ;) )
I found an idea from some of the above links for burb cloths made from prefold diapers, so I picked up a dozen diapers for those. They are soooo cute. I'm going to tie them in a bundle with a blue ribbon. Check this out:
http://anewchelseamorning.blogspot.com/ ... y-not.html
I found a bundle of Winnie the Pooh FQs in my stash (had them for years) and some pastel rick rack to trim them with. I also picked up a 5 pack of blue onesies on clearance for $4! I was looking for plain ones to decorate some kind of way, but found printed ones on sale. :applause: So, a total of $16 spent today for a gift that I think will be pretty nice. :dance:
I prewashed the diapers to shrink them and I'm waiting for them to dry so I can get started. I'll try to get a pic before I give them away.
Thanks for all the ideas! I'm dying to try out the loop edged fleece blankie that Belinda mentioned. :D I need a baby to sew for. JUST KIDDING! :shame:
Last edited by Bama on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bama

New postby Bama on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Finished! That was a quick and easy project. :applause: I will make the burp pads again sometime.
Bama

Next

Return to Sewing for Children