baby gifts

For those little ones in your life!

Re: baby gifts

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:29 pm

You're too quick for me, with my limited access to my computer these days.. Son's politics interfering with my computer time.. Thank goodness the primary is next week .. Maybe things will get back to normal after that.. Well , I was going to suggest some baby washcloths from knit remnants.. That is one of my standbys I keep on hand for babies.. I pick up small remnants of the baby knits light, medium, and heavyweights when I find them.. The lightweights, I stack 2 layers together and serge with wooly nylon rounding the corners, and it may take 1 minute to make one.. I do a dozen or so at a time, edging them in pink, blue, and other colors so I always have some for boys, girls, or unknowns.. (whichever I need at the moment) My standard baby gift is 2 Libs Bibs, 2 receiving blankets and 3 or 4 washcloths, and 1 burp cloth. If I know the person well, and she appreciates handmade items, I include a 3rd blanket and put it all in a recycled bag from a store and put a note that says "this gift is not wrapped in pretty paper with an expensive gift card because I wanted you to have an extra blanket instead".. Then I tie a rattle from the dollar store on the top of the bag and attach the note on the string.. That always has been a big hit every time I have done it..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Bama on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Great ideas Libby. I thought about making some bibs from your pattern, but couldn't find any suitable towels at the last minute. I'll keep my eye out for some from now on. I really like the way you wrap your presents. :applause: I always hate spending a fortune on wrapping paper or gift bags, when that money could have went toward a better gift. I like putting presents in an inexpensive basket that can be used later. Hmmm... how about wrapping everything up in a receiving blanket?
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:09 pm

I did that twice with a large safety pin holding the other items inside.. Everybody loved it ! !
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby pucktricks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Okay, so it's too late for this present, but I'm sure others will want ideas. A couple of quick easy patterns to have on hand to make (that I'm in the process of finishing right now for a party tonight) are: Butterick B4778 and 5439. They make up really quickly, and are plain enough that if you have more time and want to applique or embroider it, it's an easy thing to do.

Ticia, who in a half hour or so will have a show and tell item. :bday1:
pucktricks

New postby DorothyL on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:49 pm

Is 5439 a little wrap around dress that you can make reversible? I used to make those for my little girl 26 years ago. They were so handy. When they got messy you could wipe it off and turn it over and you have a clean baby again.
DorothyL

New postby Bama on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Both the mom-to-be and the grandmother-to-be loved the burp cloths. GM to be said they were the only burp cloths they received. The baby is due next week. Grandma will be raising him. The mom is scared to death. She's in a class for teen moms and had to watch the birthing films last week. :anxious:
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby vickki on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I usually go to the dollar store and pick up a pan and put shampoo,q-tips,soap etc....This makes a nice gift....usually people give clothing and forget about the toiletries....
vickki

New postby esrun3 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:09 pm

Receiving blankets are always needed-I just serge a yard of flannel and they go over really well-the moms like the larger size-especially if they are breastfeeding-easier to cover up with and they continue to work as the child grows older. Or how about crib sheets? 2 yards of fabric and some elastic-they sew up pretty quick too.
Lyn
esrun3

New postby pucktricks on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:11 pm

that's the dress. It's cute and easy. I just gave it at the baby shower, and the mom-to-be loved it. Which is always good to see.

Ticia who is still looking for the cord for her new camera to hook it up.
pucktricks

Previous

Return to Sewing for Children