reverse applique??

For those little ones in your life!

reverse applique??

New postby Sews4kate on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm

I was looking at a pair of pajama's my ds got as a gift. It has a cute applique on in it, but it wasn't done the way I normally do appliques, it was on the inside and the shirt fabric appears to be cut away to reveal the fabric that was sewn on underneath. Did I make sense?? Anyway, does anyone know the process of doing something like that? it looks really neat!
Wendy
Sews4kate

Re: reverse applique??

New postby Sews4kate on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm

never mind! I googled it and found this great set of instructions! http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_in ... 20,00.html

if anyone has any tips or anything, I'd still love to hear them!
Wendy
Sews4kate

New postby Sews4kate on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:41 pm

ok, me again, just trying to think this through. would I need to use any stabilizer? anything like "heat and bond" (I don't think so)? How do you keep the fabric from shifting while you are sewing?
Wendy
Sews4kate

New postby PaulineG on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Just guessing - my son has a tshirt like that - that you'd need to baste it. Unless you made the underneath fabric lots bigger than your cut out - then you could fuse it around the edge but it would probably not hold it well enough in place. Or maybe a fusible washaway of some kind?
Pauline
PaulineG

New postby Glennssister on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:03 am

Wendy, I am looking forward to seeing you do this one. IT looks like something I would like to try for a Christmes gift. Just glancing at the instructions it looked complicated.
Belinda
Glennssister

New postby DorothyL on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:14 am

I did something like that once. I did it by hand and there were two layers. It went white, light blue, dark blue. It would have looked better white, dark blue, light blue I think.

Doing it by hand I just cut a little, stitched it on both sides, then cut a little more. I was doing an outline drawing and had to be really careful not to cut off anything I wanted to keep!!
It went really fast.

With what you want to do on the machine I would say (and I know you don't want to hear this) hand baste around everything first. Not really big stitches because you really want to hold it tight in place.
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:46 pm

That is really cute. I may have to attempt something for Christmas - oh darn, there's that white word again.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Sewing for Children