need pattern suggestions

For those little ones in your life!

need pattern suggestions

New postby sewingmom on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 am

My DGD will soon have "1st comunion". I have never seen or dressed a child for this milestone. I have the impression that a white dress and a veil is customery. I just bought some beautiful white embroidered eyelet type of fabric but I dont have a clue as to what style or patern to get. Anybody have any suggestions????
sewingmom

Re: need pattern suggestions

New postby Reta J on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 am

I found a pattern that might help. Here is the link:

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.asp ... a678386e76

Do a search for First Communion Dress, and it has a list of places that sells dresses, to give you some idea.
Hope this helped.
Sewing Forever
Housework Whenever
Reta J
Reta J

New postby ddreev on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:16 am

The fabric sounds lovely. I would suggest looking at what is available in the ready to wear to see what is in style in your area. I have noticed here in the past several years a number of the girls have on long dresses rather than just below the knee and the tea length dresses that everyone wore before. I have also seen circlets of flowers for their heads instead of veils on some of the girls. It is an important day for your dgd so I'm sure she would love to be included in the planning of the dress. If she helps you plan her dress she will be very happy with it and it will be very special for both of you.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 pm

This is a Catholic formal ceremony and the girls in our area wear tea length (mid-calf) dresses and lace veils. Here is a link for some veils to get an idea http://www.bloomingveils.com/ Any pattern suitable for a flower girl dress will work. The fabric just has to be pure white (not ivory). You'll do fine as you have great sewing skills.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby ddreev on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm

sewingmom, if you are looking for classic girl dress patterns you might try Childrens corner patterns, I'll post the link to the site.

http://www.childrenscornerfabric.com/ I think the Margaret, Marilyn or Virginia patterns are very classic and could easily be made full length if you wanted to. The site was very slow when I was on it, hopefully it will get faster.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby sewingmom on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:15 am

Another old post. :evil:
sewingmom

Return to Sewing for Children