Great British Sewing Bee

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Great British Sewing Bee

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Has anyone been following this show? It is only shown in GB but there are you tube videos of it out there. So far I have seen 2 of the 4 shows. The theme of the show is they started with 8 amateur sewist (they don't get paid for their work) and each week 2 are voted off. They have to make a garment from a pattern they are given in a set time frame, first week it was an A line skirt and 2nd was a pair of mens trousers. They can pick the fabric, embellishments etc for this garment. They also have to make a garment to fit a living model, one week it was a dress and the next a fancy blouse, pattern fabric etc is their choice, all in a set time frame plus they have 1 hour to do a requested change to a RTW garment week one it was to alter the neckline of a cotton woven top and the second was to add pockets of some type to a skirt. I love the show and watching how the different sewist react to the time frame, the thought processes used to make the alterations to RTW and the fun they all appear to be having plus it really puts me back in the mood to do more sewing for myself.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Great British Sewing Bee

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Heard about this on Facebook and watched the first 2 episodes last night. I really enjoyed it as the focus was on sewing and fitting skills not designing per se.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Skye on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes I have watched both epeisodes - lovely show. Helps me get my sewing fix :D
Skye

New postby Magot on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:51 am

I have watched both eps and really enjoyed them - episode three next week. Interestingly they show real people having real issues with the fit,understanding how a fly goes together and so on. I believe that it is by the same team that did The Great British Bake Off - an amateur baking competition in the same sort of format. That prompted a surge in home baking which is still going strong today.. I would love to be let loose in their "haberdashers" which seems to be remarkably well stocked compared to the feeble fabric departments we have in shops in the UK. Hopefully it will spur more people on to take up sewing and push the market back into providing the necessary for sewists.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Anyone see the third show? Loved the jackets that were made. I sure as heck couldn't make one in 7 hours. Jan are you near where Laurens' shop is opening? Sounds like she will have a little bit of everything for sewers and knitters.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Have not had time to watch Episode 3. Plan to do that tomorrow while my daughter is in class or out and about. When she's home, she comes in my room to watch TV which interferes with my watching something on the internet. I don't like using ear buds or headphones. They give me a headache ... :D :D :D
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Garment Sewing