Making pants that fit.

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Making pants that fit.

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 pm

A down side to getting my long awaited promotion at McD's is that I can no longer hide ill fitting pants behind my apron. See Picture in Necktie Thread. The pants I am wearing in the picture are poochy in front. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix that? Either in alteration or to a new pattern. I have this problem with most pants I wear except my jeans as I buy them snug fitting and with a low/mid-rise. I do not want to wear snug fitting pants at work and I want to look professional. I plan to climb as high as I can within McD's until I am financially ready to open my fabric store. So I need to look my best and these pants are definitely not cutting it.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Making pants that fit.

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm

How about making a pant with a low rise and some spandex in the fabric??. I wear jeans most of thr tim because the fit feels best.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:11 pm

They are poochy in the front because the front crotch seam is too long & you need a longer back crotch seam. You also need a little more room in the thigh area. Check out the book by Pati Palmer on Fitting Pants for Real People. It should be at your local library. I know that Hancock Fabrics has the DVD for about $20. She addresses these issues. I like Claire Shaeffer's pants' patterns thru Vogue as they have a curved waist band with a seam in the back for adjusting. I also noticed the pants are too long & need to be hemmed up about 1/2 an inch. You would do better to make yourself some new pants than trying to reconstruct those pants although it can be done by taking them completely apart & doing the necessary alterations.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Actually Marty the pants are all around too big for me even in the thighs so altering them would probably be a nightmare. I have the front poochy problem that you can see with all ready-to-wear pants that are not low/mid-rise jeans. I thought it might be a matter or shortening the front crotch seam. I just checked and my library doesn't have that book :( . I think somewhere in my piles of fabric I have a book called Fitting Finesse or something like that. I'll have to dig around and see.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Gina, I'll try to scan the pages of my book & email them to you if you pm me your email address. It will be tomorrow before I get to it as I'm almost ready to crash for the night. It's been a long, busy day.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:32 am

How about trying this pattern.
http://store.epatterns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=42

This is from e-patterns.com
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Don't we all just adore Marty and the great fitting tips she has in her store of knowledge! That's exactly what my problem is as well, and now I know how to fix it. Thanks! I'll do it on my next pair of pants.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:12 pm

OK Marty, lets see if I can stump you. None of my ready wear pants fit right. They all scoop down in the front waist line. I've lost about 15 pounds this year, and they still scoop down. Add that too my belly fat, and it looks pretty bad. I'd like to be able to tuck a shirt in again! Do you have any ideas of what the problem is?
Theresa
temom

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm

The front crotch seam is too long & the back crotch seam is too short. You need the European cut that has a longer straighter back crotch seam & shorter front crotch seam. Also, you have a tilted waist which comes with having children. Basically, your waist is uneven in the front & back so you have to compensate for that when fitting. Your pants will scoot down in the front or have to be pulled up & the waistband folded over. With a flat backside & full tummy, you have to be sure that your side seam is straight first. Then add bits of pattern paper to fill in where you need extras in the front & back so that the pants are straight & fitted correctly. Be sure when you tissue fit, that you have a thin piece of elastic tied at your natural waistline. The book "Pants for Real People" really addresses this with photos. Hancock Fabrics sells the book & DVD or you can order it from the Palmer-Pletsch website. It might be at your public library. Friday, I'll scan some pages from the book & send them to you if you PM me your email address. I don't want to violate any copyright info by putting this info out publically.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Burda pants patterns have a better fit European style. I pretty much only use them. Otherwise I spent hours trying to fit the pants and get totally frustrated. And the book Marty is talking about is great! I have it too.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Next

Return to Garment Sewing