Bubble Zipper

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Re: Bubble Zipper

New postby bridesmom on Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm

That's Mother Marty! :D
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 am

I need Marty's "know how" Genes. Marty, Does steaming the zipper help to shrink it. I used to wash and shrink all my zippers. Is that necessary??
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 am

I don't wash my zippers beforehand. I just stem press them when taking out of the package ... first with the zipper closed & then with it opened. It takes all of a minute or so & the results are so much better. Cannot remember where I read this. It was probably something that I learned from Dr Lucille Golightly, my tailoring professor at college or in one of my home ec classes thru Jr & Sr high school. Adele Margolis' books on pattern making, sewing & tailoring are excellent resources. They were my textbooks in college back in 1976. I made a tailored 4pc navy blue wool suit using a summer weight wool that cost $75 a yard back then. Unfortunately, the moths had a field day with it & it had to be tossed but I did get to wear it several seasons in the 1970's to work. I've made a lot of suits since then. Of course when I went to college, I worked all day & went to school at night. After not passing algebra twice, I dropped out of college & sent both of my little sisters & brothesr to college instead. My daughter tells me that I should go back & finish my degree but I am physically unable to hold a job so what's the point. I am talking to Pati Palmer about offering an online sewing course to become a certified Palmer/Pletsch instructor since so many people cannot travel to Portland, OR or her other schools in the North for classes. I would do that for my own self satisfaction. Who knows, I might open a sewing business one day or at least a school. I really love teaching others to sew & would like to have some credentials to back up my knowledge. Yeah, it's vanity, I know; but it would give me a sense of accomplishment.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby SmilieFace on Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

MartySews2 wrote:After not passing algebra twice, I dropped out of college & sent both of my little sisters & brothesr to college instead. My daughter tells me that I should go back & finish my degree but I am physically unable to hold a job so what's the point. I am talking to Pati Palmer about offering an online sewing course to become a certified Palmer/Pletsch instructor since so many people cannot travel to Portland, OR or her other schools in the North for classes. I would do that for my own self satisfaction. Who knows, I might open a sewing business one day or at least a school. I really love teaching others to sew & would like to have some credentials to back up my knowledge. Yeah, it's vanity, I know; but it would give me a sense of accomplishment.
Marty ;)

1) Great for your younger siblings
2) Would you get any personal satisfaction from having the degree just cuz
3) I'd take multiple classes from you. I've learned a lot from you just through this board -- it'd be even more amazing in person!
SmilieFace

New postby MartySews2 on Wed May 30, 2012 9:42 pm

At almost age 60, Smilie, with memory issues, I just don't know if college is for me. I would probably major in health care management or accounting if I did go back to college. I doubt that anyone would hire me as I am permanently disabled with major heart, lung, diabetes & arthritis problems plus I have to use a wheelchair to get around. I would like to get some sewing credentials but there are no courses offered in the Memphis, TN area & I cannot travel. The sense of accomplishments in getting credentials would be for my own personal satisfaction. That's why I wrote to Pati Palmer of the Palmer-Pletsch Corp & we're talking about creating some online credentialed sewing classes. She has a serger class right now that's about $500. I read a lot of sewing books plus watch sewing DVDs & took home ec courses from 7th thru 12th grade focusing only on sewing. I would take bookkeeping instead of cooking when the semesters changed. When I was in college, I took 2 semesters of tailoring from Dr Lucille Golightly. She used Adele Margolis' books (very cheap on Amazon) as her textbooks. I'm not afraid to try new things & try to master a new technique every year. It sharpens my brain. I teach a 3hr class each Saturday at my church (no fees). I encourage students to bring their own pattern & fabrics & I help them accomplish what they want to make. I even let them use my machines if needed. It's a learning experience for all of us plus lots of fun. If you're ever in Memphis, let me know & we'll meet & I'll give you some sewing lessons from what I know.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Previous

Return to Garment Sewing