Need help/ lots of advice.

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Need help/ lots of advice.

New postby sewingmom on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:50 pm

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... 897-Ad.png

I need to make this outfit by Saturday. This first one will be a quickie and may only come close to authentic but I figure I can at least make the bloomers. Any Ideas where to start. I think getting a jacket with a peblum from the thrift store might be the place to start for that and hope it is a suit that I can use the skirt or pants to construct leg o mutten sleeves from.to replace the jacket sleeves. I think we can make a dickie to put under the jacket front to look like a high collared blouse. We will add a short thin mannish tie.
My dear friend has successfully authored a book and we are having a book signing for her at church on Saturday. The book is Clara, by Wanda Vaugn. It is the first of a series of books for young girls.
We have located a skimmer hat to wear with it, but it will need to be spray painted.
sewingmom

Re: Need help/ lots of advice.

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:44 am

Not much help from me. I've been asked to do these types of outfits before esp. since I moved here from Vincennes which does all kinds of annual historical events in period clothing. I always said I was too busy as I knew they wouldn't pay me enough to make them since it was a "one time event" for them. Now if it was someone who'd wear the outfit over and over for years or whatever then they'd be willing to pay for the large amount of fabric and my labor but I never really could find the time. First link is expensive and prob. not worth it but the others are easy to find patterns in stores/online.

http://www.pastpatterns.com/8355.html
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2089-men-costumes.aspx#t-2
http://butterick.mccall.com/b4952-produ ... age_id=385 (view C)
http://butterick.mccall.com/b3072-produ ... age_id=385 (now sure how you'd get the baggy look for the riding breeches other than just adding more fabric to the length before cutting it out)

Might also check some clown costumes for the pants. They'd be one piece jumpsuit type patterns but could be altered?

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby memom27 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:04 am

Modifying the suit from the thrift store is a great idea, if you have several to shop in. If you could run across a jacket from the huge shoulder massive shoulder pads 1980s-90s you'd have it made. Have you thought about trying to modify a full skirt to make the baggy riding pants? Success would depend on how tall the wearer is as you need the length to make it past the knees.

Making this "from scratch" could run into money unless you run across a fab sale. Love to see how it turns out. Best of luck.

Now off to a non-sewing day.
memom27

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 am

Sewingmom, a pair of full culottes gathered below the knee will make the pants, the jacket with a shawl collar & double buttons on each side would work for the base. To get the leg-of-mutton sleeves, cut the top of the sleeve extra large & gather to fit the armscythe & taper the sleeve to fit closely to the upper arm & wrist. Any straight pattern will do. For the shirt, just button up a basic men's shirt to the neckline & wear a narrow tie. It should be doable if you don't have to work. Have fun with it & post pics when done. You can do this.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 am

There is no way to make this authentic or from scratch as I do have to work this week. I'll give it a stab and hope for the best. Thanks for the suggestions ann for doing the research. I am off and running this morning and will check back in around lunch to see if anyone else has any input. Thanks Kathy, Marty, Memon.
sewingmom

New postby lendube on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 am

Nothing to add but I sure am anxious to see what you come up with. Great suggestions, everyone. Good luck! :dance:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am

Butterick #5232 would make your jacket ... Butterick #4861 would make the pants ... Butterick #5526 would make your shirt & use a narrow tie or strip of fabric.
Have fun with this.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Personally I think you're crazy! That's going to be quite the costume, Go for it!! (and you are a good crazy!!!)
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby pinecone on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 pm

sewingmom wrote:There is no way to make this authentic or from scratch as I do have to work this week. ...

For future reference: http://www.longago.com/victorianwomen.html Go to their home page for more eras to pick from. I have the past patterns site book marked too from something our historical society did a few years ago. Good luck and let us know how it all went.

piney
pinecone

New postby sewingmom on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks Piney, Great patterns and pictures.
I bought a nice size 26 suit at a thrift store today and will begin making the outfit tomorrow. I'm getting a later start than I wanted to .
sewingmom

Next

Return to Garment Sewing