Need help/ lots of advice.

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Re: Need help/ lots of advice.

New postby sewingmom on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Memon, I used your suggestion for huge shoulder pads. The suit we cut down was a size 28. Wanda is about a RTW size 18. It didn't have a peblum to start with but it did have tons of seams to make it alterable. My DH was graceous enough to go th hancocks yeaterday for the shoulder pads and to sit down and vacuumn out lint that was fouling up the machine this morning. On the way to the book signing I was sitting in the back seat hand stitching and snipping threads. DH also snipped threads while I was working on sleeve garters. It is not couture sewing but it was fun. The shoulder pads are still just safty pinned in. I just prayed it didn't start comming apart at the seams.
I was inspired by the girl last year that had the dress a day blog. She had a budget of 365 dollars and bought things thrift stores and made a new garment from them one for each day of the year. Some of them were really cute and some weren't.
Kathy and Piney, the web sites you sent me to were great and helped a lot to give me Ideas. Marty, Your suggestion about coulotts was great and helped me know what to do with the pants legs. I couldn't have got it together without my cheering squad here. My friend Wanda thanks you all!!!
sewingmom

New postby Mule on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 pm

You did a great job, and in so little time!
Beth
Mule

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Very nice job, Sewingmom ... it fits great & the sleeves can be shortened for the next book signing. Good work all the way around :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Amazing job! You did a fantastic job on it and with no pattern! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby DorothyL on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:17 am

I'm impressed. What a great job.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Great Job. I would not have even been able to do 1 sleeve with that short time allowance. I am one person that a time limit absolutely freezes my body and brain. I can sew and make things in a hurry as long as I do NOT have a deadline. Thats why I start making Christmas items in July. And summer things right after Christmas.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingmom on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Libby, I didn't have any choice. Wanda is like one of my own children having grown up and gone to school and church with my oldest son. We are also kindred spirits in that we have a mellancholy bent to our personalities and need to have our egos boosted up frequently. I have known for months that she wanted me to make the outfit but we couldn't get together to do her measurements and pick out fabric. I would have been so dissapointed in myself if I hadn't finished.
sewingmom

New postby pinecone on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Wow, I must bow to you for getting all that done! (Just like there are no quilt police, there are no garment police either).
I too suffer from brain freeze at times and like to have a good head start.

piney
pinecone

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm

1988 was the last time I took on a chore at the last minute with a quick deadline. I delayed a wedding ceremony for 1 and 1/2 hours because I broke a needle rushing to finish a maid of honor dress for the wedding, because I felt like I could not say no to the bride. I am serious , that is the last time I accepted any last minute chore. Everyone that knows me knows that I will not do those things, so nobody asks me. I have made sure the all know why I say no, and if they want my skill, then they give me time to work, with no argument.No more delayed ceremonies of any kind. LOL
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Libby, I hope the bride was at least appreciative that you got the job done right even if it meant a delay.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Previous

Return to Garment Sewing