wedding sewing

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

wedding sewing

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:53 pm

My DD just asked me to make her wedding dress & Matron of Honor dress for her wedding. It is not until next Dec. She showed me what she wants & it is pretty simple. similar to this http://www.dresstimes.com/product.php?productid=31716
but more of a wide strap instead of the cap sleeve. She wants hers to be Champagne colored & the other Brown.
They are only each having 1 attendent because he is an only child & only has 1 really good friend. she told him it had to be 1,2,5 or 7 That was the only way she could divide her people.
She is asking the rest of the family to take part in the ceremony in different ways & wants us all to dress in Christmas red or brown. Youngest DD has started looking at dresses & has asked me to make hers also. I think I will be doing a lot of sewing next Nov. Might even have to take some time off work!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

Re: wedding sewing

New postby temom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Wow, Barb, I would say you should start sewing about February! That is a lot of sewing!
What a beautiful dress that is. I bet it will be stunning.
Theresa
temom

New postby sewingmom on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:45 am

I saw some beautiful brown taffeta dresses in the wedding section of "unclaimed baggage. I also found an antique satin mother of the bride dress for $59 at the same place . It had beading at the waist. Very classey with spegettii straps and a matching short jacket. If I thought it was appropriate for the mother of the groom and for a summer evening wedding, I would consider it. It did have what looked like a grease stain on the skirt. But I bet ithe drycleaners could get it out. Barb, would you be interested in me taking soem pictures of these dresses and finding the sizes and prices. I could purchase and mail them if you are interested. The brown dresses had a sort of vintage design like from the 1950's at least 3 of those and a short one in the same fabric with spegetti straps and another one that was similar but I can't remember qhat it was like.
sewingmom

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:59 am

Barb, would you be interested in me taking soem pictures of these dresses and finding the sizes and prices. I could purchase and mail them if you are interested. The brown dresses had a sort of vintage design like from the 1950's at least 3 of those and a short one in the same fabric with spegetti straps and another one that was similar but I can't remember qhat it was like.

Thanks but they are both quite modest & would like the wide strap. I really think DD wants me to make her dress & I think with a few weekends & late night sewing I can get them done as long as we find the right pattern. DD said she found one in Vogue. I am going to start checking after Christmas whenever there are apttern sales & I will probable get the fabric during Prom season when it is the cheapest.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby bridesmom on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I was thinking Vogue would be the way to go for a pattern, especially with their great selection of vintage dresses. I'm sure you can do this Barb, it's a wonderful gift to be able to give to her and like you said you have loads of time to do it in. I'm sure you'll do a mock up dress to get all those pesky fitting details out of the way, good way to get rid of some stash!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:41 am

Barb, it's great to have so much time. It'll be fun to go with you through the process. By brown I'm thinking you mean more of a bronze?? I like the combination of colors and the Hepburn dress is beautiful. Being December I imagine there will be a wrap of some sort too.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I imagine there will be a wrap of some sort too.

She is thinking a faux fur wrap. She really likes the 40s/50s look. She is planning on wearing pearls too.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Mule on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 pm

You're lucky you got so much notice -- that's a lot of sewing to do! I'll bet it's tons of fun though.

My mom made my wedding dress, which made it even more special. I think she enjoyed the process and the time spent together too. (Although it does seem like that was shortly before she quit sewing... :think: )

Your daughter is very lucky to have you and your talents!
Beth
Mule

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Your daughter is very lucky to have you and your talents!

Thanks! We are going to 2 bridal shops so she can try on dresses to make sure she likes the style before we make it. Her Matron of honor has just announced she is expecting in August so I won't start anything with her dress until at least Oct.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Magot on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:02 am

What fun! I hope you have a lovely time making them. I loved making my daughters dress, through she was less fussed about it than I was and lost 1/2 stone after the final fitting.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

Return to Garment Sewing