hemming dresses

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

hemming dresses

New postby sewingmom on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:45 pm

My neighbor gave me 4 dresses to hem for her. we measured the dresses in the front and I have measured up from the hem bottom and cut one off and started on the next but it seems the back is longer than the front on the one I am working on and the one I have finished. I measured the distance of the hem the same all the way around and cut the same amount off all the way around. These dresses had been re-hemed previously. Is it possible that the back is longer than the front because the butt hikes it up some. I have not retried them on her and would like to finish them this weekend and have other sewing to do. Am I just straining at nothing. the back is an inch longer then the front when I put it on my dress form and use my floor stand hem marker to check the hem. My dress form doesn't have a very big rear so maybe it is not really a problem. My measuremnt from the hem up is correct all the way around.
sewingmom

Re: hemming dresses

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Yes dresses are longer in the back to allow for you butt.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:10 pm

It is possible for the back to be longer than the front if there is more of a backside to be covered. I would measure each dress on her using a yardstick to get the correct measurement from the floor up. Otherwise, the hem is not going to be straight.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Gina, I like your new picture (slightly off topic, but just wanted to mention it)
:D
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:34 pm

I have run into that in the opposite way when I made a 'mother of the bride' outfit for my Sister. Hers has to be longer in the front because she has a rather large middle and almost no butt in the rear.. I had to measure the hem on her person to get the hem straight..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingmom on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Thank you all. I have one of those chalk puffer hem measurer tools on a floor stand and tried it out on the dress form. It works well to mark an even hem all the way around. I will go to her house tomorrow evening and have her put on her dress up underwear and shoes with the dresses and then measure the hems. She has lost a lot of weight since her knee replacement in April and can't walk in high heels now so she wanted these hemmed to her knew figger and and shoes. We have developed a good friendship since her surgery and this is a labor of love that I would not like to mess up.
sewingmom

New postby DorothyL on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 am

Gina, I like your new picture (slightly off topic, but just wanted to mention it)

Me too.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks everyone! I noticed that my old picture didn't even look like me anymore. Plus I got an awesome new haircut (it is part of my beat the winter hum-drums self medication).
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby sewingmom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Gina,Thats the key to fighting seasonal depression. Be proactive and even a little bit flamboyant if necessary. That hair cut really is becomming.
sewingmom

Return to Garment Sewing