McCalls 6027, Red Crepe Back Satin dress: DONE!

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Re: McCalls 6027, Red Crepe Back Satin dress w/puckers, more ?

New postby bridesmom on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Way to go Kathy, way to push through and do it! Looking forward to seeing the final product.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 am

Didn't get any sewing done Tues b/c I was exhausted after the school meeting, planned to work on it last night but ended up working late. Our census is low and they cut my hours down to six a day so instead of 8-430, I've been working 10-430 but the last week or so the boss has been asking me to stay thru supper, about 6pm. It's nice to have an 8 hr shift back but I do not like staying "late" b/c by the time I get home, I'm too tired to do any sewing.

Got up again about 345am, got on the computer then realized it was Dec. 1st and I can wear Christmas tops but I can't find them. I put the zipper in my dress while pre-washing Christmas fabrics then cut out a top to wear today if I can get it done. I broke my zipper foot trying to move the bar sideways (screw broke off) and had to use the zigzag foot to finish the zipper. I bought the invisible zipper and it looks good. I had to remove some of the stitches as I got too close to the teeth while rolling it but it's in. Hopefully tonight I can get the lining in and maybe the hem. I wanted to do a tiny rolled hem on my serger but do not have enough red thread. I also cannot find my spool caps in order to use reg. thread instead of serger thread so I'll probably end up hemming it by hand.

I'm getting closer and closer to the finished dress....YAY.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Is there a trick to doing these shoulder seams with a lining? I've stitched the neckline and underarms but can't seem to figure out the rest of it. I think the directions are missing something. Party is next Sat. so I've got to get it done asap.

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: McCalls 6027, Red Crepe Back Satin dress, ? about shoulders

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 am

Do you mean the shoulder seams are still open, but the front and back are finished off? I've done it by sewing the fashion fabric seams closed then handstitching the lining shoulder seam afterwards.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:57 am

Notes to self:
Do not sew when tired or otherwise not feeling well.
Do not “overthink” a pattern instruction, read them carefully.
If something does not seem right, leave it alone. Get some air, get some sleep and come back later.
Do not post online when you get out of bed at 3am until you’ve had coffee...
In the end, it will turn out fine.

The neckline was done but I left the back edge of the armhole open for turning. I pressed the 5/8" seam allowance on the un-stitched side and clipped the stitched side. Turned and once I could "see" what was happening, it was fine.

Nearly done. Pics later today!

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 am

One of the shoulder linings must have slipped when I did it b/c now that the dress is done, the left shoulder is narrower thanthe right due to the lining is pulling the fabric into a wonky wrinkle. This was taken prior to me clipping the seam allowance at the shoulders and slip-stitching them closed so the right shoulder looks like it has a "tag" sticking off but it doesn't. Final pressing not yet done either so the neckline really isn't wavy.

Not sure what to do now. I thought about making a corsage/flower/decoration of some kind with scraps to pin onto the left shoulder. I have some Christmas pins but they don't look right. It needs to be 3"+ long to cover the wrinkle which is "high" up onto the shoulder about my collarbone. Most pins/etc are pinned in area between the collarbone/upper bust.

Had to sew the rest of the stuff for the holiday bazaar at work last night. I really didn't "forget" about it but didn't think it about it being the 9th and the party the 10th. I have been focused on this dress and the other stuff was in the "to do" pile. They reminded me yesterday that it was Friday so I did pillows and totebags last night.

Kathy
Attachments
satin dress.jpg
satin dress.jpg (11.05 KB) Viewed 3046 times
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Well darn it anyhow. I've seen bows on one shoulder, or if you could purchase a large flower it may work. I hope you can find something to work, cause to take it all out and redoing it doesn't sound feasible right about now!
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 am

Kathy, if you have some fabric scraps, how about making a cascading row of fabric flowers over the offending area. They are in all of the stores now. The wrinkle is because the fabric somehow was pulled off-grain on the shoulder. It can happen with so much handling. Jan posted a link to how to make fabric roses & they go pretty fast. Here's the link http://destashification.wordpress.com/2 ... w-to-make/
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Thank you for the link. I had already looked up a few tutorials and attempted some roses but they did not turn out well. I like these much better :) Left 830am this morning, just got home. Off today to take dd16 to the dentist who needs significant restorations. The actual dental work is covered, the general anesthesia is not (neither by medical or dental). She has the worst phobia/fear of needles and has to be totally out to even get her mouth open for numbing. Will prob. cost me over a grand out of pocket but it has to be done.

I am also now 97% done with Christmas shopping and dd16 bought two used formals to wear, one for Winter formal and the other for prom. No, it's not til May but they were only $100 each and new were well over $400. Both are gorgeous and we couldn't decide so I loaned her the money for the second one until her next payday. One needs no alterations (she would like it shortened to knee length but we'll see), the other only the bust taken up which I think I can handle or pay the local lady $25 (what she charged last year).

Tomorrow after work I will finish the hem and do the roses. We won't leave until Sat. afternoon. Cutting it close but I'll make it.

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: McCalls 6027, Red Crepe Back Satin dress, hemming?

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:05 pm

I cannot make roses. Bows, OTOH, I can do. Bows', roses...what's the difference? The bows look fine, one on each shoulder.

Now, about the hem. The dress has been hanging for days. I hemmed up the lining 2" this morning but can take it up higher if needed. The dress right now hits about the knee so I don't want a big hem. The skirt is full so I have to work it in as I go.

I'm thinking I can press it up about 3/8" then fold it up and use the fold line to pick up a few threads of the dress and hand stitch around. Sound feasible? I have some fusbible web that I could use a bit here and there to hold it in place as I'm stitching.

Kathy
kjh9835

PreviousNext

Return to Garment Sewing