Sewing with Thinsulate

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Sewing with Thinsulate

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 am

Does anyone have experience sewing with Thinsulate? I've never used it before, but I just ordered some from Vogue Fabrics for a winter coat. I had hoped to make a winter coat a couple of years ago, but now I'm finally getting around to it. :)

I'm reading a bit about sewing with Thinsulate on PatternReview and other places, but I'm curious if any of you have first hand experience!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Sewing with Thinsulate

New postby lendube on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 pm

No sewing advice but thought this was interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinsulate
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Sancin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:05 am

I lined a coat several years ago with thinsulate and ended up taking it out. I found it quite stiff and did not drape well with the coat fabric. The coat was fullish. I ended up using the thinsulate when making placemates. I am not sure what else I would use it for but it was quite firm as it is quilted but some sort of steam pressing to quilt.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 pm

I was reading about the stiffness issue - some people recommend making a detachable lining, but I don't really want to go to all that trouble to make a separate, fully finished lining.

I guess I'll just see how it goes. I want this to be really warm, and I don't think the style I have in mind will require much drape - what I have in mind is a very warm parka with a little bit of shape to it, something like this: Marmot coat. The outer fabric I've picked out is a medium-heavy weight faux suede.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Sancin on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:19 am

I actually made the interlining removable, having made the coat first and thinking it may not be warm enough. After I removed it I wondered why someone would want a removable interlining as they are a pain in the neck to remove and reinstall. I can recall my grandmother interlining coats she made for me with a chamois and then moved them coat to coat as I grew.

The thinsulate may work with the coat you have in mind but I think you may find that may be 'poky' above and below the belt. Most thinsulate I have seen used effectively have been in mittens and boot liners.

Myself, living here in North Central BC, where we get some VERY cold weather I have been making my coats out of polar fleece and lining them with a windproof nylon lining. I have been warm at - 35 C, providing I keep my hands, feet and head warm. Once I get out of my foot boot d/t surg I have a lovely grey blue fleece to make a coat. As I can't quite decide what style I have purchased 4 different patterns - they may end up costing more than the fabric!

I think that in terms of warm coats it helps to think about what is it that makes you cold - still temperature, wind, humidity? May give some ideas as to what to make coat out of and what to line with. As will what you will be doing when wearing the coat. The suede material will hold heat in, if you are warm when you put it on and will probably hold the wind and moisture out. You may think about lining it with a light weight polar fleece (an exotic pattern would be interesting). Remember the concept of what makes something warm is the air pockets which hold the warmth. A belted coat is also going to be warmer than a looser coat and the length will affect how warm you lower parts will be.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:58 pm

The thinsulate came today! It is not nearly as bulky as I thought it might be. I can see how it might be stiff, but I think it will probably work. :)
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Return to Garment Sewing