large bust adjustment question

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

large bust adjustment question

New postby sewingmom on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:09 pm

I am working on a dress pattern conversion to maternity dress. DGD #1 is a 40 DD already and 21 weeks pregnant. The pattern we (ddil and myself) are converting is Simplicity 3785. I did the large bust alteration on the pattern and there is too much fabric lateral to the breast / from the breast to the side seam. Any body got any suggestions or conversation on the subject. I'll check back tomorrow. The first garment is a hopefully wearable muslin. I am wondering if her DD cup size is not accurate and I should have just adjusted for a D. Kaitlin. You do those adjustments. Is there some tweeking that you do after. the full bust adjustment. I recut the pattern and took about an inch out of the side seam. I'm thinking I should have taken about .5" from the length of the side seam and about .5" from the width. We havn't tried it on her yet.
sewingmom

Re: large bust adjustment question

New postby bridesmom on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Does it need a dart on the side? Can you take out the fullness on the muslin with pinning, then recut the pattern piece? Not that I may be much help, I don't have to worry about full bust adjustments, I have to subtract, not increase :cry:
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby neefer on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:04 am

What method did you use to do the fba? Is DDIL close enough that you can fit on her?
Jennifer in Livermore

Bonny lass, bonny lass, will you be mine?
You shall neither wash dishes nor serve the wine;
But sit on a cushion and sew a fine seam,
And feast upon strawberries, sugar, and cream.
neefer

New postby Here_Fishey on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm

sewingmom wrote:I am working on a dress pattern conversion to maternity dress. DGD #1 is a 40 DD already and 21 weeks pregnant. The pattern we (ddil and myself) are converting is Simplicity 3785. I did the large bust alteration on the pattern and there is too much fabric lateral to the breast / from the breast to the side seam. Any body got any suggestions or conversation on the subject. I'll check back tomorrow. The first garment is a hopefully wearable muslin. I am wondering if her DD cup size is not accurate and I should have just adjusted for a D. Kaitlin. You do those adjustments. Is there some tweeking that you do after. the full bust adjustment. I recut the pattern and took about an inch out of the side seam. I'm thinking I should have taken about .5" from the length of the side seam and about .5" from the width. We havn't tried it on her yet.

Fold the execess fabric up, and make a dart (or a larger dart) uhm, when she tries it on, see how much you fabric you need to fold for the dart, and use that amount.
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby sewingmom on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:10 pm

I used some of the unwoven fabric that I trace patterns on and sewed up the bodice in it and tried it on DGD. I did not think of folding a dart in the bodice to make a dart. I had alreaady added a sizable dart. I used the method for adding a dart in "The Perfect Fit" the clasic guide for altering patterns. Our schedules are such that I do not have much access to DGD for fitting. I'll try the fold up a dart trick next fitting. DDIL accidently laid the bodice on my clover Iron and we had to recut a part that got burned. Our progress is slow. Thanks for the
suggestions.
sewingmom

Return to Garment Sewing