Wedding dress almost done - bra cups question

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Wedding dress almost done - bra cups question

New postby fabric_addict on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks to all who have supported me through this wedding dress odyssey. I've almost finished the dress, but I've got to make a ribbon for the back. Right now I'm using a small blue ribbon I had on hand just so I could try it on. The final ribbon will probably be about 1/4 inch wide and made out of the same fabric as the dress.

I'm thinking of adding bra cups (I've got them on in the photo, but they're not sewn in...just sort of set in place).

Please note in the photo the little gathers right around the neckline have been fixed...they were caused from me having accidentally grabbed some of the fashion fabric when I was trying to tack down the seam allowance to the underlining. I didn't take photos of the fix.

QUESTION: How do I put in the bra cups? I've never put bra cups in a dress. I bought some from JoAnns, but no instructions came with them. Right now the dress only has fashion fabric (dupioni silk) and underlining (coton batiste) treated as one layer and silk lining. I'm thinking I should tape the cups to my body, try on the dress, then pin the cups into the dress where they fall when I'm wearing it...then sew them in between the underlining and the lining. But I'm not sure which way is "up" with them and there is a small tab, which I don't know the purpose, or if I'm supposed to sew all the way around with them or what. Anyway, all help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I was thinking about leaving it un-embellished, but I'm not sure. If you have any suggestions for improvement, please let me know.
Attachments
Back.jpg
The laces will eventually be white and two or three times the width of this ribbon
Back.jpg (220.07 KB) Viewed 5874 times
front-bottom.jpg
front-bottom.jpg (222.17 KB) Viewed 5884 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (235.95 KB) Viewed 5863 times
fabric_addict

Re: Wedding dress almost done - bra cups question

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Here is an excellent tutorial for putting in bra cups. Hope that it helps.
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/200 ... -or-dress/
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Magot on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Beautiful fit on the dress! I like the simplicity of the dress a good cut says far more than any amount of embellishment.
I imagine that trying on the cups and wearing the dress may give you an idea of how they will go but I would have though you would want to attach them to the side of the lining facing the main fabric so that lining touches your skin. I would put them there and see if the things show through to the front and if they do put them on the inside of the lining. Not much help am I?

Either that, or it is the old double sided stickytape trick to stick 'em to your boobs and then put the dress on - no sewing involved! Might be easiest...
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby momquilts on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I can't wait to see the final result! You are doing a wonderful job! I love the style and the ribbon accent. You have fitted the dress nicely to yourself. You are going to be a beautiful bride and should be very proud of what you will have accomplished in making your wedding gown!
momquilts

New postby ddreev on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:33 pm

the dress looks lovely and the fit is wonderful.....good job.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby fabric_addict on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Magot wrote:Beautiful fit on the dress! I like the simplicity of the dress a good cut says far more than any amount of embellishment.
I imagine that trying on the cups and wearing the dress may give you an idea of how they will go but I would have though you would want to attach them to the side of the lining facing the main fabric so that lining touches your skin. I would put them there and see if the things show through to the front and if they do put them on the inside of the lining. Not much help am I?

Either that, or it is the old double sided stickytape trick to stick 'em to your boobs and then put the dress on - no sewing involved! Might be easiest...

Thanks for the input. If I'm seeing what you're saying, when I try on the cups for placement in the dress, I should just go ahead and put them between the fashion fabric and the lining from the get-go. That would make sense to see how much show-through there is. The cups have a white side and a cream side, so I could try each way and see what looks better. I had originally been planning to install them in such a way that the lining touching my skin when it was done, so that part of my explanation, I must have not explained well.

Thanks for the compliments. :oops:
fabric_addict

New postby fabric_addict on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:55 pm

MartySews2 wrote:Here is an excellent tutorial for putting in bra cups. Hope that it helps.
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/200 ... -or-dress/
Marty ;)

Thanks Marty. The tutorial shows how to add the bra cups to a the lining of the bodice of a dress that isn't finished yet. I'm not sure how to try the same technique on a dress that is essentially finished. Any ideas on that?

I suppose, another option is to just buy a bra that would work with the back of the dress...I'd actually prefer to go without bra cups or bra, so maybe I'll need to try the dress on again and have a friend help me with the dress so I know it's fitted right and then see how the bodice looks without. I suppose I could always just stuff the cups in there without sewing as Maggot suggested...But I have these visions of them falling out when I take off my dress. That could be pretty amusing for my new husband. :lol:
fabric_addict

New postby Mom of Six on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:53 pm

.But I have these visions of them falling out when I take off my dress. That could be pretty amusing for my new husband.
They have special tape for taping them to your skin. there is also a tape my kids call "Boob Tape" so you can tape the girls in place without the bra cups. I have never used either but I think you can buy them at a bridal shop.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Congrats...Great job on the dress. It's gonna be a winner!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Corinna29 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:53 pm

The dress is beautiful! You'll make a lovely bride.
Corinna29

Next

Return to Garment Sewing