Just found this and thought it was interseting

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Just found this and thought it was interseting

New postby pucktricks on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Who hasn't been able to find just the right button? Well, now here's your solution, if you're up for it: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/42722/make-your-own-buttons-from-polymer-clay. Make your own buttons out of polymer clay. Okay, so it's a little over the top, but it is somewhat intriguing.

Ticia
pucktricks

Re: Just found this and thought it was interseting

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 pm

That is neat :D
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby vickki on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm

That is really interesting,you could always make an extra couple in case you loose one...
vickki

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Polymer clay was a great hobby of mine when I was a teenager. What is shown in the tutorial is very simple examples of what can be done - you can actually use poly clay to create very intricate designs. I used to make all sorts of fancy and detailed millefiori canes or face canes.

I'm not sure if poly clay would work well for buttons or not - it is a bit fragile when rolled thin, and it seems like it would chip easily. Hand wash and line or lay flat to dry would be a must for the finished garment, I think. I think I remember that poly clay should not be dry cleaned, but I could be mistaken. I would definitely do a trial with some simple buttons first before making anything too fancy.

I'm sure there are a lot of resources out there on working with polymer clay that have a few more practical details than the tutorial, so please do your homework. But here are a few things I've learned, if anyone wants to try it.
  • Do not work with the clay on your nice self healing cutting mat as shown in the tutorial! The clay could ruin it because it eats through some plastics. Be sure you clean your work surface thoroughly after use.
  • Importantly, any tools you use should not be used for food afterwards - the clay is supposed to be non-toxic once it is baked, but the chemicals in the unbaked clay could potentially be toxic. It would be best to have a dedicated baking sheet as well - if not, perhaps a piece of foil on top of your baking sheet to protect it (and parchment paper on top of that, to prevent the clay from getting shiny where it's sitting on the metal).
  • As far as storing the clay, if you want to use a plastic container, again be aware the clay will eat through some plastics. As I recall, hard, clear plastics tended to "melt" when exposed to the clay over time, whereas the softer, slightly cloudy plastics were ok.
  • Also be careful not to overbake the clay, as it can create hazardous fumes (and it just smells terrible!). You can always bake it a little longer if it comes out slightly soft still.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby fabric_addict on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:56 pm

I've also heard of making buttons out of ShrinkiDinks...you know...that plastic stuff that you draw on then cut out and put in the oven and it shrinks to a fraction of it's size. If I can find the tutorial I'll post a link.
fabric_addict

New postby DorothyL on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:32 am

I have made polymer clay buttons. I keep thinking I should make some more.
Mine were rather thick and I had them on the top of small slits at the bottom of pant legs. They outlasted the pants and I threw them in the washing machine many, many times.

i put them in a roasting bag when I cooked them in the oven. It is supposed to be OK to not use the bag but, like the person who wrote the book I used to learn the technique said, "Why not take the extra step just to be sure."

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby pucktricks on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:02 am

So, don't use my pasta maker if I ever want to actually use it for pasta, is what I'm hearing.

I've seen all sorts of cool projects that aren't related to sewing at all for polymer clay, and it always gets me intrigued, but then I start thinking about how I don't have the time for that........ You know how that goes.

Now ShrinkiDinks, that could be interesting and fairly easy. I've got a big huge stash of them from another project. It would take some experimenting to get the size right I'm thinking, that and experimenting with hole size.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby fabric_addict on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am

Yeah...I heard about the ShrinkiDinks (sp?) on the "CraftyPod" podcast by "sister Diane". I think she had a template for a basic button.

Also I think I remember them shrinking more in one direction than the other so that might need to be accounted for in the design.
fabric_addict

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 am

I've done the shrinkydink ones. Mine were the kind you could print on with your computer. I sprayed them with a clearcoat acrylic paint (at least three coats) They go through the wash OK as far as sturdiness but the color is starting to come off around the edges. They are fun to make though, and the kids could do most of the work for you Ticia (if you use colored pencils). Remember too you gotta use a big hole punch for your buttonholes as the little ones shrink away.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby momquilts on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:22 am

Here is a link to some really cool polymer clay items. I have bought several pieces of jewelry from her at shows. She also had some buttons with her. I didn't look through the website today, so I don't know if she still has buttons for sale or not. I am just amazed at the talent of people who can do things like this!

They are a really nice couple. Her husband works the cash register at the shows while she demonstrated jewelry making. While talking with her husband when buying a pink ribbon pin, we found out someone in his family was affected by breast cancer. When we told him our DD was doing the 3 Day Walk, he gave her a pin and asked her to wear it when she walkled, in memory/honor of his family member.
momquilts

Next

Return to Garment Sewing