Men's shirt collar flaps

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Men's shirt collar flaps

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I don't know what else to call them, but you know when you have a men's shirt with a collar and the front flaps fold over so you have the 'V' to the first button?? Ok, now, how do you get them to stay laying flat? I interface my fronts, and I keep finding that I continually have to press the front's so the flaps lay flat and not stick up. Any tips??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: Men's shirt collar flaps

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 pm

I use collar stays to help keep DH's collar points flat. I buy them at Hancock Fabrics or Men's Wearhouse.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:12 am

Are you talking about lapels that are faced? If you are, be sure the facing is cut right on grain and that you are using the right weight interfacing.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Dorothy, yes, the lapels. The interfacing is cut on the grain, and is about the same weight as the fabric, which I believe is right, but I find that the lapels stick up if I don't press them down every time I wash the shirt. Do you have a way to make them lay flat?
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby DorothyL on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 am

What kind of fabric are you using? I've never really had that problem. I'd say go with a lighter interfacing. I like the really thin fusi-knit for an iron on.
Unless.......does the shirt have a collar stand? Sometimes those get kind of bunched up and heavy at the very end and that could be the problem.
Also I understitch from the bottom to the top button to keep the seam from rolling to the top. Some how that defies logic and helps keep the seam from rolling out from the button up (although up on the lapel is the side that is under from the button down) :think: :think: . It doesn't seem like that would make a difference but it might be worth a try. The shirt hangs better that way, I think, so it couldn't hurt.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Will try that on the shirt I am working on. I do remember somewhere reading about putting a 2nd triangle of interfacing on the corner, I think, but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

Return to Garment Sewing