Patch pockets for kids pants

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Patch pockets for kids pants

New postby temom on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:17 am

I'm making a pair of jeans for dd, and I've made heart shaped patch pockets - 2 for the back and 2 for the front. I was hoping to make the jeans up without her seeing them until they were done, but now I realized I've gotten myself into a pickle. I copied the heart pocket pattern from a pair of jeans she had maybe 2 or 3 years ago (I ripped the pockets off before discarding the jeans). I made them a bit bigger to match the larger sized pants. But now I realize I don't really know how to measure the placement of the pockets on the jeans. I thought it would have been easier to put them on before assembling the jeans, but now I'm not sure that is possible, as I don't know quite where to put them.

Any ideas?
Theresa
temom

Re: Patch pockets for kids pants

New postby lendube on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:46 am

Hey Theresa, I'd suggest just centering the new pockets on pockets of pants of similar type that fit her now. Go from there.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:44 pm

That'd work Lennie. I had thought if you had a jeans pattern, use their pocket placement lines but Lennie's would work just as easy.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Well I didn't get very far. I've finished all the embroidery, and sewed the inside interfacing piece to each heart pocket. I came to the realization that I need to top stitch them before attaching, as they are heart patch pockets, and I'll have to at least do the heart loops before sewing them on. Since I was getting pretty tired, I decieded to do some fsl bookmarks on the embroidery machine. I'll give it a go again in the morning after I drive the car pool and walk. The car pool takes almost a full hour (round trip), and then the walk will be another hour. Hopefully I'll get them topstitched and sewed on tomorrow. I really, really want to have something to post in the stash challenge!

Oh, I don't have a jeans pattern, so I'm going to try to guess from another pair of pants, as Lennie had suggested. These jeans have taken so long to make, I don't want her to outgrow them before she gets them!
Theresa
temom

Return to Garment Sewing