100% Terry cloth

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

100% Terry cloth

New postby Sewing Lady on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Since I had trouble finding 100% cotton terry cloth, DH found 100% cotton towels for 2.99 each. I am in the process of making 2 spa robes from 8 towels. I have one almost finished and the other cut out. I undid all of the seams to utilize as much fabric as possible. The one that is almost finished weighs a ton. I think that they will be perfect for this winter. I hope that I have enough toweling to maybe put a hoodie on mine. There will be enough scraps to make pockets, I think. They aren't that impressive, but a needed accessory for the outdoor spa in the winter.

But, WOW, Only $25. for 2 terry robes.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

Re: 100% Terry cloth

New postby sewingmom on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Leighanna, I am anxious to see your robes. We also have a spa and the winter is the best time to use it. I have priced the robes and they cost a small fortune. perhaps I will find towells at a good price and follow your example. Thanks so much for posting this.
sewingmom

New postby Sancin on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:57 pm

I have never had any trouble finding cotton terry towel at fabric stores, when we had one open in our town, but availability seemed to come and go. I can imagine using towels would be heavy and one of the reason's I don't like terry towel robes. Perhaps an you find some cheap towels. They are looser weave, but do the trick in absorption and weigh less. A robe would not be washed as often or expected to last as long as a thick towels would be.
I made baby towels from a terry towel shower curtain. I forget where I got the curtain ($19). I think it was at a department store linen dept sale. Lots of material!!
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby Sewing Lady on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:41 am

I love that they are heavy, because they will be worn outdoors in the Winter. It does eventually get cold here in TX. I can find 100% terry on line, but not in town. I didn't want any poly in the fabric. DH found the towels on sale at Anna's. They were normally only 4.99, but for 2.99 I thought that I would take the risk of them not working out. I have almost finished both robes. I am adding the neck band and making the ties. If I have enough I will add patch pockets to the front. I have used almost all of the towels, so if you decide to try towels, make sure you buy the largest that you can find. I use one full one for the back and 1 for the front, I did cut an overlap and sewed to the front to widen the front. I will do some top stitching to make it look like I meant it. :lol: I used one for the sleeves, I didn't taper the sleeves so they are very wide and comfy.

I also like the fact that the robes hit just at the floor and not at the calf as the one that DH purchased years ago.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Sewing Lady

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:17 am

I have found that at Holiday season I find 100 % Cotton Terry robes on sale for $10.00 or less at Annas. They are not floor length, they are knee length and the one size fits most.. Pastels and white.. Last year I found them for BOGO , so each one only cost 5 bucks. I give them for Christmas gifts to DS family .. They have a backyard pool and love them for summertime dips in the evening hours specially.. I have one I have been using for 6 or 7 years for my after shower wrap.. Its still in good shape.. They are kimono style. with a tie belt and two pockets.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Sewing Lady on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am

We used our new robes last night and they were wonderful. DH loved his so much he had me take a pic to send to his DD. They were great getting out to the gazebo in the rain. Just tossed them right in the dryer.
Leighanna
Sewing Lady

New postby sewingmom on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

The closest Anna's was 40 miles away a nd now that is closed. I'll just watch the ads in the paper or mail.
sewingmom

Return to Garment Sewing