I Love Lucy Dress for Halloween...completed 10-25

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

I Love Lucy Dress for Halloween...completed 10-25

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:40 am

I found this pattern:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4769.htm?search=4769&page=1

to use for the dress. I have plenty of blue/white polka dot fabric (about 4 yds). I think view "D" is the dress I'll make.

I'd like to "close up" the front and not do the facings/buttons all the way down the skirt. I will be wearing a white apron over it anyway so why invest that much time?

Can I just cut the front and back pieces out on the fold of the fabric and stitch together at the sides? I know I'll have to reposition the buttonholes on the top part but I do that anyway. I'm making a size 14 which will be a little big based on my measurements but dd14 might also wear it trick or treating and she needs a size 14 so I'm making it to fit her but I'll wear it Friday night and she can have it Saturday.

Here's the RTW costume: http://www.halloweenexpress.com/love-lucy-polka-dot-dress-adult-costume-p-8780.html?osCsid=ui0k6v9c3na8ogcie0e9svo776&gclid=CPihn9OOtZ0CFQhV2godiHBVrQ

Kathy
Last edited by kjh9835 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjh9835

Re: I Love Lucy Dress for Halloween....want to alter

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 am

I'm not really a sewer of garments any more but I think that if you didn't have the buttons down the front, you would have trouble getting in and out of the dress cause the waist is fitted. JMO
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Here_Fishey on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:42 am

If you decide to cut on the fold and just sew the sides together, you will not be able to get into the dress, unless you put a zipper in the side seam, or you sew yourself into the dress. Then you won't be able to get out of it!
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:50 am

I was thinking a side seam zipper. I was thinking of making myself a "Lucy" or June Cleaver type dress for a 60's sock hop party next weekend. I will probably just not go in costume though.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby DorothyL on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:49 pm

If you ct the front skirt in two pieces you can sew them together from below that first button below the waist, with the right over the left then put the buttons on and skip the holes. Or you could leave the buttons off. That would take care of that getting it on and off problem.
I think that will make you happier than cutting on the fold.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks. I almost cut it out anyway this morning as I wanted to get started. I ended up going to town for something to do.
I cut it out as directed and will make it per the pattern. It's not that hard but there are several pieces. I have almost 3 weeks so I don't think it will be an issue. I did start on some skirts for my great-nieces and then my machine started making noises. I had to wait on Joe to get up (night shift this week) and he fixed it for me and showed me where to put "just a drop" of oil should I need to in the future.

I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:07 am

UGH....it's too small!!!

I did the bodice and sleeves this morning. No way will it be loose/comfy enough to work in and I know it won't fit dd14.

Will have to go back and get more fabric so I can make the sleeves and bodice again.....

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Hope you could still get the fabric!! I hate when that happens! I was going to suggest that instead of doing the buttonholes you could just do snaps or velcro inside and sew the buttons on top specially if you are wearing an apron overtop.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm

I wasn't planning on another trip to that side of town but was able to recruit dd19 to go for me during one of her 3 hour breaks between classes. Only cost me another $10 for gas and $12 for fabric and I sent her with a swatch to get the right one.

No time to sew. dd18 moving home this weekend (long story), busy at work, everyone has the "crud" but me (go figure and I'm the one most exposed at work, must have good immune system) and Joe.

Bought more fabric today at WalMart for the wrap skirts but not sure when I'll do them.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:26 am

Well, try try again.

I've cut the bodice out three times. Must be the magic number, it fits! Now if I had only read my "Fit for Real People" book after the first try, I would have saved time and money.

The bodice is done, the rest of the pieces have been cut out and pinned together so one isn't lost. I'm out of time right now as I have to run to town to get another bag of batting for my king quilt. I bought one yesterday at JoAnn's and got one free so I took two off the shelf (last two). I cut out of one this morning to make a baby quilt (quickie project) this weekend if I get the costume done but Jaekh decided to make it snow in my LR with the other king size so I've got to get one at WalMart as they lady is coming Monday to pickup the top, batting and backing and I won't be going back to town (which is why I went yesterday!)

Back to the crate Mr. Jaekh.....

Kathy
kjh9835

Next

Return to Garment Sewing