Field Jacket/Barn Coat

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Field Jacket/Barn Coat

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:52 am

With all the sewing knowledge here, has anyone ever made a jacket/coat?

I've made scrub jackets before so the basic construction shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The only things I've ever lined are the bridesmaid dresses which brought me here to SWU so I think I can handle that also.

I really want a barn coat/field jacket. I had a hand-me-down from my SIL that I absolutely loved and wore for about 4 years before I ruined it and haven't been able to bring myself to purchase a new one since I have a nice day to day casual coat and wool dress coat as well as a new fleece jacket (courtesy of my employer) and another wind-breaker type jacket.

It's a want, not a need so therefore, not worth $60 to buy RTW but I could make it easily enough?

I found a pattern which I think I can get at JoAnn's: http://www.butterick.com/item/GPF858.htm?tab=green_pepper&page=2. It takes 2 1/2 yards of outer fabric, I have an old king size flannel sheet that was ripped by the dog that I could use for lining (couldn't bring myself to toss it) and I have the notions. Cost would be about half price of a new one (depending on canvas cost, never bought it but denim is about $10 yd regular price and I always buy on sale). Now if I found a RTW on clearance for $30, I'd buy it in a heartbeat so why am I dragging my feet? I am intimidated by the "i can make a coat!"

Has anyone use these patterns or made a similiar item? Any advice to offer?

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: Field Jacket/Barn Coat

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:02 am

Never mind, I decided to check Overstock on the website for the jacket I had. Found it for $25 with $6 shipping so I just bought one. Now I can get to work on the scrub tops, Halloween costume, tablecloth covers with pockets for work, attempt to hem those formal gowns and see if we can sell for winter dances and maybe the Christmas tree skirts for the Humane Society.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby DorothyL on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:04 am

I've made a lot of different kinds of coats and jackets. They are fun, really. I see no reason why you couldn't make that one. Just take it slowly, step by step. There are no difficult lapels (getting both sides the same can be a pain sometimes for me). That is a nice pattern and all that "decorative" top stitching serves a purpose, you know. It helps keep the lining where you want it.
I say go for it!!
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby DorothyL on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:05 am

Opps
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Magot on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:12 am

shucks Dorothy, another coat maker bites the dust!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Coats are not hard to sew. Just think of them as oversized tops. Give it a whirl anyway. One of your DDs may want a new coat anyway.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, I really liked the pattern!! I think you should try one after things slow down for you. I did that before I made my first one, with a really cheap fabric I found and I like it better than the final one I did!! I think now I have made 4 jackets from the same pattern. They are really quite easy to do, and fitting isn't half as hard as with a suit jacket or dress or blouse, outside jackets are much more forgiving in their fitting!!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I just thought of something after I posted. I saw a jacket very similar to the pattern you posted, and it was made out of old blue jeans pieces that had been all patched together to create a piece of fabric. It'd be some work, but really cute when done. And I forgot to mention I have used the Green Pepper patterns. I like them, although their instructions sometimes are a little sketchy as in lack of information. But if you have some good basic sewing skills they are pretty simple to make. I've done a snowboard jacket and my dog backpacks out of Green Pepper patterns.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 pm

The one I ordered arrived way to long and too small across the shoulders. I sent it back and ordered petite but large and we'll see if it fits better. If not, then I'll be making my own.

Kathy
kjh9835

Return to Garment Sewing