Pants Pattern

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Pants Pattern

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:34 am

I haven't attempted making pants before, but I think it's time. Any recommendations for a pants pattern? Should I expect to have to do alterations on any pattern? I don't have any particular pants fitting problems that I know of - RTW pants generally fit me ok. I've been looking at Vogue patterns (they're on sale at Joann's this weekend) --

V8156 - straight leg pants
V8157 - flare leg - I'm afraid these ones might be out of style shortly since they are kind of "trendy" with the flare leg, low rise, and wide waistband

Any ideas? I'm off to http://sewing.patternreview.com/ to look up these patterns and perhaps find some more.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Pants Pattern

New postby DorothyL on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:49 am

I like the straight legs -- is that a little cuff? Very nice, but maybe you could stay away from the plaid. Or maybe that's just me.
DorothyL

New postby jwright on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:58 am

ooohh... now those look fun. and if they are on sale, I may have to try... OH WHAT FUN!!
jwright

New postby lendube on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:08 am

I like the straight leg pants, no plaids and I'd leave off the belt loops but then again; I'm old enough to be your mother! :roll:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Magot on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:48 am

You said it Lennie!

A fly is easy enough to do once you get the instructions worked out Kaitlin, you'll do fine. But I too would steer away from the heavily patterned fabric - it has to be SO exact in the cutting out or they look dreadful. Wide legged trousers are in, I am told or straight legs, flares are on the way out.

It is good to have a pattern that is doable but a little bit challenging so that you learn a new technique or two. From this board I learnt about putting one leg insdie the other when sewing up the crotch - maybe someone else would be able to explain it better...
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:59 am

Oh, I can just see myself agonizing for hours over the proper matching of a plaid fabric..yeah, I think I'll steer clear of that for now. I'm thinking mostly solid colors. I had a feeling that flares were on the way out with the "skinny jeans" being in right now, but I still like a little bit of a boot cut. I didn't see any Vogue patterns that had just a slight flare from knee to ankle, but maybe I'll take another look.

The thing that bugs me about many of the pants patterns is that they don't have pockets! I can get by without pockets, but I really prefer to have them. I don't think it would be too hard to add some in, but it would be nice to have the directions in the pattern.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby jwright on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 am

kaitlinnegan wrote:The thing that bugs me about many of the pants patterns is that they don't have pockets! I can get by without pockets, but I really prefer to have them. I don't think it would be too hard to add some in, but it would be nice to have the directions in the pattern.

I totally agree! I don't carry a purse often because I would rather keep things in my pockets... but with these pants without pockets, you would have to carry something to keep everything in.
jwright

New postby PaulineG on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:24 pm

I like both and don't think the flare on the second pair is too extreme to worry about - I've never been a fan of low rise though. I often want to tell people wearing them "too much information".

I love pockets as well but have to say they often spoil the look of an otherwise nice fitting pair of pants. Be careful where you end up putting them - if you pop them in the side seam they might add something to your hips.
Pauline
PaulineG

New postby AndreaSews on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:00 pm

I have not tried it yet, but the one I'm planning on for my next pair of pants is Vogue V7881 by Claire Shaeffer. http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V7881 ... ner&page=4
It's one of those patterns that includes many pages of fitting tips and detailed instructions on the finer aspects of garment construction. It walks you through the muslin and how to adjust the muslin in order to create a pattern that makes the perfect pair of pants for your figure. So, when I get to it, this is the one I'm going for. I like the wider waistband, which is a bit more like a yoke.
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:00 pm

Ooo, Andrea, I didn't realize the Claire Shaeffer ones had all that -- sounds like just what I need! The first one I posted (8156) appears to be from the same line, and may in fact be the same pattern but with a back flap pocket, cuffs, slightly different closure at the waistband, and belt loops added. I would never use the back pocket and I'm not sure about the other details, so I may go for 7881 instead.

I do wonder, Pauline, how low the low rise is -- I can do a little bit of low rise without the "too much information" effect ;) but some of the jeans out there take it to the extreme.

Hmm.. decisions, decisions. :)
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Garment Sewing