Understitch

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Re: Understitch

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 pm

How cute Kaitlin! I find sometimes the sewing the seam line, is just after the basting line. So its says, baste seams then stitch.
I've found that on a few patterns too, I'm thinking, what the heck, then notice it tucked in there somewhere.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kathsews on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Sometimes the explanation for these things like understitching are found in the general directions for the pattern and can be missed if you just start reading with the pattern instructions. When I was teaching sewing, I always told my students to sit and read the whole pattern instruction first including these general terms and then if you couldn't understand something you could ask before you began and it might save some "unsewing" latter in the process. I also find that a lot of the instructions assume you know something about sewing before you begin and leave out critical steps.
kathsews

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 pm

When I finally realized how much better the garment looked with understitching, I started marking that with a hilighter when I was reading thru the instruction sheet before I cut out the garment.. That way I didn't overlook it..It improved my collars and turnback part of the facings next to the collar 200 % at least..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Previous

Return to Garment Sewing