Understitch

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Re: Understitch

New postby DorothyL on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 am

If it says understitch, understitch. If it doesn't say understitch, understitch.
I find understitching is one of those little things that make all the difference in the finished look of a garment.
I saw Nancy Zieman do a collar once and she sewed the long edge first and understitched it and then up the sides. I tried it and now I do it all the time. The collar lays so nice and flat. I also understitch up a front facing until I get to where the lapel turns out.
Necks and armholes are especially important.
I think understitching is one of those little things that kick your sewing up a notch.
Then you will be like Patsy and people will say to you "Did you Make that?" because it looks so good.
DorothyL

New postby toadusew on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 am

I agree with Dorothy about understitching. I think it makes a lot of difference in how the finished garment looks. When I first started sewing, I didn't understand that term either, and I actually top stitched some garments before I figured it out.
toadusew

New postby temom on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:15 am

I feel for you. The last Stitch n save I did I threw the pattern in the trash when I was done, as I didn't want to make the mistake of using it again.
Theresa
temom

New postby VenusElaine on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:55 pm

Understitching is a very important "unseen" part of sewing a quality garment. Many times I have altered a previously altered garment, only to find the understitching was not replaced, resulting in an unhappy client :( . It is part of the foundation of the garment, much as boning a strapless gown, and the results of taking the time to do this extra step are extremely rewarding!

VenusElaine
"Always put as much effort into your marriage as you do into your wedding"
VenusElaine

New postby plrlegal on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:10 pm

This is just my opinion only but if you are going to use the Stitch N' Save or the Easy Sews or Sewing for Dummies or whatever shortcut patterns that are on the market, be prepared for the fact that you need a little extra experience and knowledge in how to take those patterns and do a few detail construction techniques on them so they don't come out looking "homemade" because, and this is in my experience only, if you cut and sew exactly as their instructions read, you're gonna be very unhappy with the results and have a garment that does look like it was made by an inexperienced seamstress.

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby AndreaSews on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:51 pm

prlegal, you make a good point--The brands that package and sell inexpensively appeal to the new, partially-committed sewer, for good reasons, but once you open them up, you find out that they were really prepared for the sewer who has been at it a while and learned to sew elsewhere. Simplicity's Sewing for Dummies series of patterns impressed me though. If you get them on sale, they're fairly inexpensive, and they take you through all the details of a project and you can make a good garment or sewing craft using the directions provided.
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby DorothyL on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:55 pm

I agree. Sometimes the patterns say fast just because they skip all the steps that really make the garment look good.
I guess I look at things a little different because when I see something that looks especially well made I wonder "did she make that?"
When I see something that doesn't look so good I figure it came from a discount department store.
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Sometimes I wish I could just walk up and check out the inside seams, to see if someone made it or not! Course, you'd have to be very careful doing that, you could get slapped, or worse!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 am

My experience has been that they leave out critical information - like putting in a casing and elastic to hold a pair of shorts up, or putting the sleeves in, rather than leaving them on the sewing table.
Theresa
temom

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:49 am

LOL. I just made this A-line skirt pattern: Butterick 4461 and I swear they left out the step of stitching the side seams! I've read it over and over again, and I can't see it. But they did include the understitching... :P
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garment Sewing