Invisible zipper

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Invisible zipper

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm

I just finished making an A-line skirt (this pattern) with an invisible zipper, and I have come to realize I don't know how to get the bottom of the zipper/transition to the seam to work out just right. The problem is that the stitching to put the zipper in goes down as far as it can, then the stitching for the seam for the back of the skirt goes up to meet the zipper, but it never quite meets because the bottom of the zipper is in the way of the machine stitching the last little bit. Is there any trick to this? When I did it this time, I monkeyed around a bit and got them to almost meet, but zipper stitching and seam were about 1/16" off from each other in depth and left a little bump in the back seam. I ended up taking out the machine stitches and doing it by hand. It looks fine, but there has to be an easier way...

I also didn't leave quite enough room for a hook and eye at the top, I think. It's wearable as is, but I don't want my zipper coming undone as I wear it! Maybe I can squeeze my hook and eye in there...
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Invisible zipper

New postby toadusew on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:31 pm

Kaitlin, you're a braver woman than I am to tackle that invisible zipper! ;)

Did you find it easier or harder than putting in a regular centered zipper?
toadusew

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Oh, yes, it is much easier! In my opinion, it's a lot easier to sew the zipper in straight, and it ends up looking a lot more professional (at least compared to my one attempt at a lapped zipper..). Right now, I'd prefer to do invisible zippers on everything. I've only done the one lapped zipper that turned out rather ugly in the first dress I ever made - for the garments I've made since (including my wedding dress) I've done invisible zippers. Even if don't get them "just so" they still end up looking ok, but I suppose I should give a centered or lapped zipper another try now that I have a bit more experience.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby AndreaSews on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:41 pm

[*]http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/el_zipinvis.html that might help with the finishing part. I think many here have agreed that going bottom to top is better than the way show in these pics. I have on occasion completed that last bit at the end by hand for precision. And then stitching the bottom part of the zipper tape to the seam allowance makes a big difference too, to anchor it.
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby AndreaSews on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:42 pm

OK, I see there's some other trick to inerting a hyperlink. Anyway, that was supposed to say: Here's a link with a pic. And the link is : http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/el_zipinvis.html
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby bridesmom on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks for the article Andrea. I have now purchased 3 invisible zippers, one to play with, and 2 to put into dresses. And they are still sitting in my zipper box. i just haven't had the courage to attempt them. I learned how to do zippers from a class I took with Trudy Jensen and they work very well. I like the look of invisible ones, just got to take that step!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Ohh! That makes sense to use the zipper foot for that tricky bit. Now why didn't I think of that before? :roll: Thanks so much Andrea!
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:09 am

I was going to tell you how I d0 it, but after seeing that drawing I see that I do it pretty much the right way. That's something new for me.
I'll be making a duffel bag (of sorts -- sounds more masculine) for my nephew with the zippers you buy by the yard. I've never done it before. Anyone have directions for that?
DorothyL

New postby AndreaSews on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Directions for duffle bags, or for sewing zippers by the yard? The zippers that I bought by significant length came with their own directions, and they have worked out fine. It was one of those spools of zippers, which comes with a number of zipper tabs. I wonder if that's what you are planning to buy. The main thing to remember is to either whipstitch by hand or use your machine to make a start and stop point before you fiddle around with those tabs, b/c once the tab comes off the zipper tape, it's not going back on!
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=2305
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 pm

I've boughten the zippers by the yard, and you can get the zipper tab back on, but it takes tons of patience and a flat surface to do it on. You can also purchase the little metal stops if you want, but I find sewing a bartack at the bottom worked fine.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Next

Return to Garment Sewing