Not sure if I have the right forum ~ wedgie ?

Everything about sewing clothing that fits!

Not sure if I have the right forum ~ wedgie ?

New postby SewManyProjects on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Okay, so how's this for a first post. :P

I love skorts and have bought a few rtw from Title Nine. I am always between sizes for pants. If I buy the bigger size they fit in the hips, but the waist gaps, if I buy the smaller size they are snug in the hips, but the waist fits better. And sometimes they fit reasonably well, but they ride up or give me a wedgie.

So, if I were to make myself a skort, how would I correct this fitting problem? Is there a point in the shorts where I need more room that causes the wedgie phenomenon?

TIA

Ashlea
Ashlea

Self taught sewist, wishing I could take classes, planning my 5 year old dd's spring/summer wardrobe.
SewManyProjects

Re: Not sure if I have the right forum ~ wedgie ?

New postby jwright on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Darts!! Darts are good. Buy the bigger size and dart down the waist to get it where you want it.
jwright

New postby h2ofitchef on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:38 pm

I recently read somewhere that shorts/skorts ride up between legs if they are too short. Longer lengths don't. I don't know if this is true, just read it somewhere.
h2ofitchef

New postby paroper on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 pm

There is a pretty good chance that you have one of two problems. Either they are too narrow in the crotch from front to back or they are too short in the crotch. Usually they are too short in the crotch, but if you happen to have a bubble butt instead of being wide in the butt, it could be that they are just too narrow front to back. Different body types have different problems. I agree with the idea of either putting darts in those pants or adding darts. If there is too much difference between the waistline and the hips you may acutally need to add not only 4 darts (2 front and back but 8 darts. You don't want your darts so deep that they form a pocket at the bottom of the dart..that is when you split them. When you put the darts in the best way is to remove the waistband from the button side, leaving the button hole in place. This works very well if you don't have seams in the waistband. If you do have waistband seams, you can remove it from dart to dart and take the extra out in the waistband seams. The only place you can have a problem with this idea is in blue jeans where you may want to put a false casing in the backside of the waistband and use elastic rather than trying to "mess" with the darts and the waistband.
pam

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
paroper

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 pm

I have a pair of pants that rode up and I basted in a deeper crotch seam, not much, but just enough to see if it helped and it did, so then I did it permanently. But I don't know if that works all the time or not. I did this by putting one leg inside the other with right sides together, and folded them into the horseshoe shape, then basted starting just above the curve into the crotch, all the way through to the other side, then tried them on again . I hope that did make some sense.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby PaulineG on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Made enough sense that I got it Laura. It's something I might try myself one day - being a bubble butt as Pam described. I prefer to say that I have a sway back. :mrgreen:
Pauline
PaulineG

New postby temom on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:14 pm

I've never heard the term bubble butt before. I think I understand it. Instead of being a wide load, like me, it poofs out in the back. Is that correct?
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:51 pm

You got it Theresa, and it's quite fashionable you know Pauline. I prefer to say, it's just a well developed muscle.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Return to Garment Sewing