Hobby Lobby

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Hobby Lobby

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 pm

A store just opened about 45 minutes from me. Anyone have any opinions, good value, good products? With traffic the way it is around here I don't want to waste my time and gas to go and not find anything worth while. Thanks.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: Hobby Lobby

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:58 pm

The ones around here have lovely home décor and hard to find items. Great for craft supplies and FABRIC!!! I have found that the fabric is a very nice quality and they have some cool sewing notions. It was at Hobby Lobby that I found a scalloped ruler for making scallops on skirts and dresses. They have some nice quilt templates as well as cute little dressform pincushions and other decorative items for the sewing room. They are a little pricey but have great 40% coupons and are never open on Sundays (religious preference of owner). I would probably shop there more often if I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to get to one. Hancock Fabrics is about 20-30 minutes away in traffic.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am

Brockie, Hobby Lobby is the best all around craft store in my opinion. They have a much larger variety of crafting items than michaels or a c moore. I consider myself lucky because all 3 and Hancocks are within a mile of each other where I shop. Also a target and a stein mart are right there, along with Kohls and J C Penney. The last 2 I don't buy much from, but I check them every so often to make sure I do not miss any bargains. Hobby Lobby crries a great variety of machine needles (more choices than Hancocks).
Also my DS who is quite the couponer at the grocery store, buys the plastic pockets for baseball cards etc, for his couponing loose leaf notebook. I think the rings are 5 inch rings ! ! ! We cut the 40% coupon off the comic page every Sunday and save it. If you sign up on e-mail they will send you 2 copies of that coupon every week. I like the fact they close on Sunday. I have used 3 coupons by going inside the store 3 times on one shopping trip when I need multiple items. ( the coupon limit is 1 per trip)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll have to check them out the next time we are out and about. I've seen coupons for the store and I'll have to start printing them off and making sure I carry them when we do go out. Does it have a flyer that they mail out with its sale items or do you have to depend on email?
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Our paper usually carries their advertisements and a coupon is included. I think you can go stir crazy with this.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:45 am

Our local newspaper always has their ad as a half page on Sunday in the funnies. The coupon is always there and good for monday thru the following saturday.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Finally got to the store. It is a trip for me so don't think I'll be going very often. I liked the selection of flannel they had and it felt nicer than what Joann's and Hancocks carries and is cheaper. The cotton prints didn't really do much for me but I did like their selection of jersey knits. I also liked the selection of yarn they have also, the colors seem brighter and the textures are different from what you find with the other big name brand yarns.
Has anyone used the June Tailor rotary cutting mat? It is more than half the price of Olfa cutting mat and if I use the 40% coupon I could really save but if the quality isn't there it isn't a savings.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Brockie, I have purchased several June Taylor products and found them to be well worth the price. Quality items like the cutter marked in 1/2 inch grooves for rotary cutting strips of fabric, or fringing scarfs. The fringing scarfs is what I use this procuct for the most as I ont do much in the way of quilting so I dont need too many strips of fabric.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Colojd on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Brockie I also like Hobby Lobby but they have a much smaller selection of fabric at the one I go to compared to shops like Jo-Ann's or Hancocks but they still seem to have some fun material. I think their main focus is craft supplies and home decorating items. They also seem to have a nice selection of seasonal and holiday items as well. It does help to use their coupons and they seem to have them each week. The only down side I have found is a lot of their inventory are imported items and some of those are not very well made and don't last.
Joyce
Colojd

Return to General Sewing