The Dark Side

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

The Dark Side

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Tonight, I will be stepping onto the "Dark Side" as I have started a quilting ministry at my church called "Busy Bee Quilters". I do have someone coming in to teach us how to hand quilt. Today, I went and bought cotton hand quilting thread, a quilting hoop, some rulers, some quilting needles, quilting straight pins and markers plus 3 bundles of fat quarters. I spent almost $100 for the supplies. The instructor will provide the batting. First I have to learn how to measure and piece fabric. I did not have time to pre-wash my fat quarters but my instructor said that it is not necessary. I have a designated sewing box for quilting supplies plus a rotary cutter and mat. I think that I am prepared.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: The Dark Side

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Good luck with the quilting Marty. I love beautiful quilts but when it comes to putting all the layers together and quilting, that just isn't for me. I also am not an accurate cutter. I try and double check my measurements then cut but it never comes out the proper size. I remember the blocks we did when Mary had the SWN boards. That was interesting but very frustrating for me trying to get everything precise.
I've done a couple of baby quilts that were panels that I just outlined the figures but that too was frustrating trying to get all the layers together and I even had lots of safety pins as the instructions suggested. I think I'll stick with the quilts that you quilt as you go. Libby told me about them and I found a you tube video about them and they seem like something I could do easy enough.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Well, I pieced together a table runner and am ready to start hand quilting it. I have it in the hoop and am ready to sew. I was so proud to be able to get all of my points/intersecting seams to match up almost perfectly. If you look closely, you can see 3 of them are slightly off by a millimeter. Otherwise, it matches up exactly as it should. We have a really good instructor. I used a 4 inch square ruler to cut my blocks. It took less than 3 hours to cut the fabric, piece the table runner, add the backing and batting. This is my first quilted project ever although I have attempted some in the past. I might give it to one of my sisters for Christmas this year. Who knew that I could quilt.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 am

You should keep your first project forever for yourself. 3 different pros have told me that.. I do some quilting but it is mostly small items and never hand quilting.. My arthritic or whatever hand will not do hand stitching any more. Besides I don't like how slow it goes. LOL I do love the fusible batting that is fusible on both sides to help you keep everything smooth . I hated the wrinkled backing problem with the one sided fusible. I mostly make purses, placemats, etc.. Small quickies. that is my specialty ! ! Amd I am proud of them. I machine stitch my quilting, usually on a checkerboard graph.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby pinecone on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Yaaay!!! You are quilting. :dance: I vote for you to keep your first project too. I started 10 years ago and it took me 3 hours to pick out 3 different fabrics. I do my quilting by machine, it would take a very special quilt for me to quilt it by hand...except crazy quilting.

piney
pinecone

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I will probably give it to my sister as she loves the colors in the blocks. Besides, it would not go with my home's color scheme. I will be hand quilting it as the class is learning to quilt by hand. Whether I like quilting or not remains to be seen. I have to do more of it before I decide if this is something that gives me pleasure. I am enjoying smocking and pleating fabric plus making heirloom children's clothing. I have so many projects in the works right now that I don't know when I will finish this table runner. By the end of July, I have to finish 25 dolls for St Jude, 7 pillowcases for the Ronald McDonald House, 2 baptismal outfits, 4 embroidery projects, 5 wee care gowns, 6 gowns for Threads of Love as well as make a wedding gown. This is in addition to teaching my Sit & Sew class every week. I will be doing the hand quilting in and around the other projects.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby cgmemphis on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:04 am

You are a busy, busy lady! My hat is off to you for all the wonderful projects you are working on. I have my grandmother's handmade quilts that I dearly cherish, but not sure if it is something I want to tackle just yet. My sis-in-law got back to me about my old serger, and is thrilled about getting it, so we will have serger lessons in the next week or so. What is your Sit & Sew class?
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Cheryl, my Sit & Sew class is part of the Hands' Ministry at my church, St Luke's UMC located at 480 S Highland (across from WHBQ near the Univ of Memphis). We meet on Saturday afternoons from 2pm - 5pm and work on projects. Some come and take lessons, others work on their own projects and some come to fellowship. It's open to the community. It's to encourage sewing as a life skill. I find it to be enjoyable and I currently have about 6 students including 2 young children. You're welcome to come although the next meeting will be on May 3rd. I'm taking a class elsewhere on April 26th so will not have the Sit & Sew class that day.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby cgmemphis on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Marty, what you are doing is wonderful! Like the saying, "Busy hands, Happy Heart." I would love to come to one of your Sit & Sew classes in the future, as I need all the help I can get--LOL! Will check with you and your schedule. Can't make the 5-3-14, but will try another time. My 83-year-old mother is getting a cataract removed close to that date and I will be helping her.

My guy left for a business trip late this afternoon after we spent the day with family, so I worked on a simple 2-piece outfit for his 11-year-old granddaughter. It is the slinkiest stretch knit I have sewed on so far, and wasn't too bad, just a new experience. Worked with a lettuce edge finish. Long story short, I am making notes: Lettuce edge on neckband works well (folded typical neckband edge), did not engage the serger knife--that one worked. Did not engage the serger knife on the sleeves and hem but they look a little raggedy so I will trim them off and start over tomorrow with the knife engaged.

Ladies, I tried the Stretch Maxi-Lock serger thread. Used it in my sewing machine bobbin. Had the twin needle threaded with regular thread. Seemed to do a decent fake coverstitch. Wound the bobbin just like I would a regular bobbin--did not wind it by hand. It gave a little extra stretch, but not a whole lot. I tried to use it in the upper looper of my serger when doing a lettuce edge but it tangled too much at the bottom of the spool. Will try again on another day with the spool netting that came with the serger...It's amazing how I have to do everything wrong before I can do it right--LOL!

Have a great week!
Hugs, Cheryl
cgmemphis

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 am

Cheryl, unless I get sick, we'll be meeting every Saturday until the end of October with the exception of August 23rd as I have a wedding to attend that afternoon. My hubby leaves May 1st for a 2 week vacation to Washington, DC. He has a dual purpose of going to bring our daughter's things home from her dorm room and spending time with her. I'm unable to travel for health reasons so I will be home with my puppy dog, Max, sewing and keeping out of mischief.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Next

Return to General Sewing