Sewable adhesive for fabric bowls

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Sewable adhesive for fabric bowls

New postby temom on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 am

Does anyone remember the kind of iron on adhesive that you can use to fuse fabric to stiff interfacing, or fabric to a garment, that is sewable and not gunk up your needle? I used to have a roll of it, but it is gone. I am teaching some women how to sew (although I still consider myself as an advanced beginner), and we are doing fabric bowls. I couldn't find the stuff I used to have, as I couldn't remember what it was called, so I bought stiff interfacing that had glue on both sides. That was a royal mess (salt cleaned it off the iron), and I need to buy more of something, and would rather go with what I had used in the past. It was fairly wide, maybe around 20 inches.
Theresa
temom

Re: Sewable adhesive for fabric bowls

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 am

Is it Heat n Bond? I remember using it for appliques. You iron one side to the shape, peel the paper off and iron it to what it is going on then stitch around it. I know it comes in various weights as the first roll I bought was way to heavy for my purpose. Does wonder under do the same thing?
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 am

Theresa, I use the craft bond by pellon for items like that. More body is what I am assuming you need. It has fuseing on one side and will not gunk up the needle. I only use Pellon products for all of my bonding. Heat n Bond leaves spots not sealed every time I have tried it. I've been using Pellon for 30 or more years, ever since I discovered it..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 am

Theresa, I always used Timtex (very stiff interfacing) for fabric bowls to give them structure and stability. You can find it at Hobby Lobby. It is fusible on one side and doesn't gunk up your needles ... be sure that you are using a size 14 needle when sewing with it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby temom on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:58 pm

So on the interfacing with the glue on one side, if you do a project calling for material on both sides, what do you use to fuse the fabric to the 2nd side?
The 2 sided fusible thick interfacing was a mess, but maybe because it was newbies using it.

I found some heat and bond light (sewable) at wally world, so I will try that as well.
Theresa
temom

New postby icetbear on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54 am

Hi Theresa, I used Fast2Fuse for my bowls. I don't recall any major issues with the product. Google and you will find lots of information about the various sizes and weights. Enjoy the day.

NanaBear waiting for more snow ;(
icetbear

New postby temom on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks, NanaBear! It is good to see you. :D
Theresa
temom

New postby sewhappyrtr on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm

I've made those fabric bowls but I actually did Kleenex covers. That timtex I my opinion is a *^#$ to work with. I did a fabric box recently and had great luck with regular iron on interfacing... and I also used some embroidery stabilizer that I had small pieces of.
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

When I said craft bond by Pellon , I was talking about a rather stiff interfacing that has fusible 'stuff' on one side of it. The instructions tell you how to use it.. I was not talking about glue...
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby icetbear on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Theresa,
I made my bowls using Fast2Fuse and instructions from 'fast, fun & easy IRRESIST-A-BOWLS' written by Linda Johansen, C&T Publishing. 2005.
I enjoyed creating a variety of bowls for use throughout the home from nursery to sewing room. Fast2Fuse is lightweight and flexible. I hope you can find the right product for your teaching project especially as you introducing new sewers to the joy of creativity through sewing. Unfortunately the joy is no longer found on this forum. A few divas dominate and are quick to let you know that it is their way or no way. A continual back patting and of 'course usual donations to charity'. It is no wonder that new posters come by once and only once.
I am happy to send you a sample of Fast2Fuse. Take care.

NanaBear
icetbear

Next

Return to General Sewing