What's good and bad about Hobby Lobby?

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Re: What's good and bad about Hobby Lobby?

New postby bridesmom on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:11 pm

I've never seen one, but did notice there are 2 in Seattle, so one of these weekends will have to take a trip down to check it out.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

I love Hobby Lobby! It is my go to store for kids crafts, hubby's model rocket and pinewood derby stuff, YARN!!! (they have tons and run pretty good sales), beads, paper craft stuff, interfacing and wonder under, etc and so forth. If I am going to the city I am going to Hobby Lobby. I respect their choice to be closed on Sundays so that their employees can have a family day.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:11 pm

There is a Hobby Lobby about 45 minutes away from where I live but the fabric dept is more for upholstery & quilting with very little garment fabric. They have a wall of notions but never the one I'm looking for. I believe that they are privately owned by a family that believes Sundays are for worship so they don't open on Sundays. I have bought some stuff there but not that much. It's too much of a hassle to drive there on a regular basis. If I'm in the area, I might stop by but that's about it. They do have some nice blanks for embroidering like T-shirts, aprons, tote bags ... lots of beads & jewelry making stuff as well as other crafty items. My daughter likes to buy soap molds there as she likes to make soap. They sell the supplies for that as well as painting pictures, canvas, etc. They do have some nice knick knack gifts like a dressform pincushions & other small items to give as gifts. I do like their yarn & knitting dept plus can find stamped pillowcase & towel sets for hand embroidery. They do offer classes & one sewing group in the Memphis area meets there. It takes me almost an hour in traffic to drive to the nearest Jo-Ann's & about 20 minutes to drive to a Hancock Fabric store. Therefore, I don't go to any of them very often unless I have a specific need.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:05 am

I respect their choice to be closed on Sundays so that their employees can have a family day.

So do I. I just forget sometimes until I show up @ their door
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby lendube on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Oh, I think it's fine that they do that too. We are so very spoiled as a nation in that respect. Every thing should be open all the time in case I need (insert whatever) at 10:00 p.m. any day of the week.............. :roll:

Actually I'd be fine with post offices being closed on Saturdays too. :D
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Actually I'd be fine with post offices being closed on Saturdays too.

Me too! Then I wouldn't get bills that day
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Bama on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Barb

Our post office is only open for two hours on Saturday, but I guess that doesn't help the mail carriers get the day off.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby lendube on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Ours too - 10-12 but the two who work there are there from 8-2. I imagine it would take an incredible amount of restructuring but I bet there'd be more supporters than detractors. :applause:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Shellymoon on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 pm

My DD worked at the Hobby Lobby in our suburb until just recently (she's working at a Christian camp this summer instead).

They are a private company owned by the Green family in Oklahoma City. The company also owns Mardel Christian Bookstores and Hemispheres (high-end furniture) so it's a pretty diverse business.

I loved it when my daughter worked there because she would come home on Saturday night, after they reset the store with the new sale signs for the next week, and tell me what was going to be on sale. About once a month, the put their patterns on sale. You can look at the sale flyer online.

Their prices can be a little bit higher than other craft stores, but they do pay their employees a higher wage, and unlike some other retail stores, have full-time employees in some areas (such as framing, floral, etc). They do have a whole gaggle of teenagers doing a lot of the grunt work on cash registers and on the floor.

I know a lot of people don't like their hours (they close at 8 and are closed on Sunday) but I really liked it when Christina worked there because she wasn't there past 9 most nights and she could always go to church with us and have time to rest on Sunday.

It's a pretty good store, with a different mixture of products than JoAnn, Michaels or Hancocks. Check it out.
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:36 am

I respect their choice to be closed on Sundays so that their employees can have a family day.
So do I. I just forget sometimes until I show up @ their door

Me too. Not long ago I went to get some small scrap type pieces of leather for a guitars strap and I went on Sunday. Its about 45 min. away and JoAnn's not too much farther but they didn't have any. I had to make another trip during the week so my savings of 40% off went to my gas tank.

Kathy
kjh9835

PreviousNext

Return to General Sewing