What's good and bad about Hobby Lobby?

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

What's good and bad about Hobby Lobby?

New postby lendube on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

Never been to one. Is it very different than JoAnn's? On our way back from our trip I saw a brand new one. It's about an hour and 15 from here but so is the nicest JoAnn's I know, a superstore. It's also in a terrific shopping area so it would be worth it sometimes to go there.

What do you like or dislike about Hobby Lobby? I signed up for their emails and I've gotten their first 40% off coupon. Do they do the 10 for $10.00 patterns? How's their online service?

Before this one the nearest H.L. was in Arizona somewhere.

TIA
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: What's good and bad about Hobby Lobby?

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 am

I haven't been to a lot of them, but our local Hobby Lobby has a pretty minimal sewing section. Similar to what used to be in Walmarts, certainly nothing compared to a Joann's. They have a lot of crafty stuff, and a huge area for "decorative" items (picture frames, vases, etc).
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:45 pm

[quote][ haven't been to a lot of them, but our local Hobby Lobby has a pretty minimal sewing section. Similar to what used to be in Walmarts, certainly nothing compared to a Joann's. They have a lot of crafty stuff, and a huge area for "decorative" items (picture frames, vases, etc)./quote]

Same here. I do like to go there and browse but only occasionally do I purchase anything. You can print a 40% off coupon each day on their website so if I go to that town, I usually print one off just in case there's something I want while there.
Its only good that date and you can only use one.

Ours has quite a large scrapbooking supply area as well as alot of knick-knack type decorations that IMO sit around, collect dust and increase housework. I don't do very many "tabletop" decorations but I do like good frames/pictures to hang and a few candles once in awhile.

They do alot of holiday decorations for holidays that ppl I know do not decorate for and it's June,so Christmas stuff is already out!

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 pm

We used to go there a lot for DD's art supplies but she doesn't do a lot of painting anymore. I do sometimes find fabrics that I don't see in other stores. They are a little more expensive but if they have the perfect fabric I buy it. Most of the time what I want is 30% off. I have heard their custom framing is better than JoAnn's or Micheals.
They don't usually have good deals on patterns. & they are not ever open on Sunday
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Bama on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I love Hobby Lobby! :dance: The one near me has a fairly large fabric department. They have a huge selection of cotton fabrics, but just an okay selection of garment fabrics. LOTS of fleece fabrics. You can use the 40% off coupon on fabric. It just has to be one cut length of fabric, but you could buy the whole bolt if you wanted to. When I need more than one fabric, I take dd with me (and sometimes her bf) to purchase the 2nd or 3rd cuts since it's limited to one coupon per person ;) . They have a decent selection of yarns. They do run patterns on sale. Sometimes it's 10 for $10 (or maybe 5 for $5), other times it's $1.99 each.
They use a lot of store space on decorative items, but I think that's probably how they stay open. I like it around Christmas though. LOTS of decorations to choose from.
I bought a dollhouse kit with 40% off coupon and wound up paying $60 for a Real Good Toys kit that's $169 on the manufacturer's website. I rarely buy anything there unless it's on sale or I can use a coupon for it.
I can spend hours in that store.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:40 pm

They do run patterns on sale. Sometimes it's 10 for $10 (or maybe 5 for $5), other times it's $1.99 each.

I will have to watch for that! I have never seen it before, I guess I am always there on an off week
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby DorothyL on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 pm

I'd never been to Hobby Lobby until we moved here. It's like Kaitlin's.

Oh yeah, they are closed on Sunday.
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Okay, I've got a feel for it now. It's definitely worth a look, I'd say. I'm so glad Barb mentioned it being closed on Sundays. I seldom go out shopping on Sundays (why do that when I can go during the week?) but it's good to know. To me it sounds like JoAnn's and H.L. are owned by the same company. Their deals are strikingly similar, aren't they? The funny thing is that this new H.L. and the superstore JoAnn's are but a mere 1/4 mile apart, if that........ :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm so glad Barb mentioned it being closed on Sundays.

For some reason I am on that side of town on Sundays & have pulled into there parking lot more than once. Since I work during the week I do a lot of my fun shopping on Sunday afternoons
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby Bama on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I forgot about them being closed on Sundays. I thought I should also add, you can only use the 40% coupon on items that are regular price. They always have some fabric on sale at 30% so you can't use the coupon. I've used the coupon on knit fabrics and on fleece when it's not on sale. Cottons, broadcloths, and calicoes are usually 30% off anyway.
Patterns go on sale every month or so.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

Next

Return to General Sewing