Making Clothing Labels

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Making Clothing Labels

New postby MartySews2 on Fri May 25, 2012 8:00 pm

On one of my groups, a friend posted a tutorial on how to make your own labels ... any embroidery machine can be used. Her site is http://scatteredsewist.blogspot.com & she does some neat things with her embroidery machine. By the way, she also quilts for those who are on the dark side & may be interested.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Making Clothing Labels

New postby carman on Fri May 25, 2012 9:07 pm

i do all my labels on my embroidery machine :D

carman
carman

New postby Mule on Fri May 25, 2012 9:27 pm

I don't do labels.... I look at the lack of labels on garments I make as a bonus -- I find them really irritating!

For those of you that use labels, are they mostly for garments you make for other people? Or do you like them on your own clothes as well?
Beth
Mule

New postby Bama on Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I only make labels for quilts. I've put some of the bought labels into things (made by mom, etc) that I've made for for DD. Maybe some day I'll get an embroidery machine to make my quilt labels. For now I use left over or orphan blocks or color the label with fabric markers.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby MartySews2 on Fri May 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I've always wanted to put labels in my clothing that I make & the ones that I give as gifts. I just didn't know the steps on how to do it. It just so happened, Belinda (scatteredsewist) did a tutorial on her blog that I read on how to make the labels. I just thought I would share it for others who didn't know the steps to follow. I don't think a satin label sewn on the seam of the garment would be irritating to my skin or anyone else's. Even couture garments have a label sewn in them.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Mule on Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 pm

I think I've seen labels for sale -- maybe Nancy's Notions? I didn't pay much attention since I wasn't ordering any. Those won't be free, but sometimes it's all about convenience.... :) I suppose they wouldn't be difficult to make with an embroidery machine though, or even a sewing machine like mine that does letters. You'll have to share your results with us!
Beth
Mule

New postby bridesmom on Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Depends on who it's for, sometimes I embroider labels for clothing, little ones that say ' Granny do 4 me' and I do quilt labels, some embroidered and some printed on fabric with my inkjet. I am not a fan of labels in clothing, especially at the neck or on the back waist, or on the side seam, they are irritating. But i will put one in a jacket, or on a hem, somewhere that it doesn't directly come in contact with the skin. Almost every quilt is labeled, even if it just says who made it and when.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon May 28, 2012 11:35 am

My grands say labels are for telling which is the back in all pants I make for them. LOL. Those say "Made with love by Grandmother". I have ordered the custom made from Nancy and Clotilde both in the past. They have my name and say Made with Love by .......... DS chastised me one day for leaving that label out of his shirt. I added it right away.. He likes to show off his shirts I make.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby DorothyL on Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

My grands say labels are for telling which is the back in all pants I make for them. LOL

When my girls were little I would hand stitch in a big X in the back.

I used to use stamps and washable fabric ink to make labels. I had some cool ladies in hats. Now I use my machine to spell out my name. But when I look at those old stamped labels I really like them and was thinking of going back to them. I could still spell out my name under them or initials would be smaller.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 am

DorothyL wrote:When my girls were little I would hand stitch in a big X in the back.
Dorothy

I still do that on things where it's easy to confuse the back and the front.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Next

Return to General Sewing