Needles fo fleece

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Needles fo fleece

New postby sewingmom on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm

I am making all these puppets and they are out of fleece. My sewing machine makes an "chunk or clunk " noise when the needle pierces the fleece. I tried asize 16 jeans needle and a universal size 14 needle, also a microtex size 14 needle. What needle do you use to sew fleece. The needle also wants to stuff the fleece in the whole of the cover plate when I get to the end of the fabric.
sewingmom

Re: Needles fo fleece

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:17 am

I use the serger for sewing fleece. The few times that I used the sewing machine, I used a size 14 sharp or microtex needle. I think of fleece as a tightly woven knit.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:57 am

The Microtex needle still clunks. I thought the sharper point would penetrate the fleece better. Think I will try a leather needle. Do you suppose it will be a problem since it actually cuts the material it pierces? I am now using a topstitching needle and it is a little better but not what it should be.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 am

Sounds like the needle is not all the way up if you're getting a clunk or either the bobbin/bobbin case is not in correctly. Do you have a needle inserter? They sell them at Hancock Fabrics or JoAnn Fabrics as well as dealers. It really helps in getting the needle all the way up & the cost is less than $10. I think that I paid about $4.99 for mine at Hancock Fabrics. I think a leather needle would ruin the fabric by putting big holes in it.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:16 am

The needles clunk on my Pfaff if they are the wrong size.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Try a size 12 microtex needle. I think that will work the best for the puppets.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I'll try to check out the needle insertion again but I think the clunk or thunk is the needle thudding into the fleece and then going into/thru it.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Sounds like dull needles, or dirty machine, have you cleaned the fluff out of it lately? I've always just used a universal needle for fleece. Do you have a single hole needle plate? That will solve the problem of the fleece going down inside the hole on the regular plate. And if you are doing more than 2 layers I find I have a struggle with it sewing properly.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Only 2 layers, tried different sizes of new needles and types. THe machine was cleaned recently. The sound really just sounds like the needle is striking tough to ierce fabric, ot like a mechanical problem. It is sewing fine. I just thought there might be a better needle. I have use a universal needle and a microtex and now a top stitching needle and it works better. I'll give the single hole needle plate a try. The other day I forgot I had my 1/4 inch foot on and I started ta zigzag stitch and broke a brand new microtex needle. No the clunkind didn't start after that it started and only occurs whe sewing on these fleece puppets. My serger doesn't like cutting it either. I have to keep stuffing the fabric into the blades with a pencil, as I serg. . I have done around 122. THey are just small hand puppets and I need to sew hundreds more. I'm just glad I am not having to cut them out. My serger blades are new.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Must just be the fabric, if you've done all that. And if it sews fine on other stuff, then that's got to be it. That's a whole lot of little pieces to sew!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Next

Return to General Sewing